Thread: polanco wants to "stay forever"

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Tigers polanco wants to "stay forever"

Sunday, July 3, 2005

Tigers: Notebook

Polanco is pleased as punch

Second baseman, acquired from Phillies, loves new surroundings, says it's 'as good as it gets.'

By Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

Duane Burleson / The Associated Press

DETROIT -- Placido Polanco speaks as if Detroit is his new home -- long-term.

"I would love to stay here forever," said Polanco, a 29-year-old second baseman who has been like a stick of dynamite in the Tigers' lineup since he was acquired from the Phillies last month in the Ugueth Urbina trade. "This is as good as it gets, and I've been on some really good teams."

In something of a surprise for a man who spent his earlier career in the National League (St. Louis, Philadelphia), Polanco said everything about Detroit is right, beginning with his teammates.

"They make me feel really comfortable here," said Polanco, who had a single in four trips in an 8-4 loss to the Yankees on Saturday night at Comerica Park. "It's like, 'Whatever you need, Pollie, let us know.' And it's everybody here, the whole clubhouse. Even Tyson (Steele, assistant clubhouse manager), when I was traded, he had my car ready, he was working on an apartment for me.

"I said: 'Tyson, do you want to represent me?'"

Expect an instant yes there. Polanco will be a free agent this autumn, which was a gamble the Tigers took when they made the trade with Philadelphia. Polanco, in fact, is represented by Aces, Inc., and by brothers Sam and Seth Levinson, of Brooklyn, N.Y. They also are agents for two other Tigers: Brandon Inge and Rondell White.

John Westhoff, the Tigers' vice president and legal counsel who handles contract negotiations, would not comment Saturday on potential contract talks. But it is known the Tigers didn't trade for Polanco with ideas of making him a four-month rental. In the same way as midseason contract talks heated up in a hurry a year ago with Carlos Guillen -- another arriving player who found happiness in Detroit -- long-term discussions could begin at any point between the Tigers and Levinsons.

Polanco likewise has found life away from the ballpark more than comfortable in Troy, where he lives with his wife, Lili, and two young children. Lili enjoys her periodic visits to Somerset Collection. Her husband is so high on his new team, he even complimented the flight attendant on the Tigers' charter as being especially gracious.

"Other places were nice," Polanco said of his earlier stops, "but here seems to be another level."

http://www.detnews.com/2005/tigers/0...C08-236010.htm

Tigers is a great organization ever since Dombrowski has become GM. Glad to hear Polanco wants to stay, because Polanco has played very well since coming to the Tigers.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think Polanco has always been a solid player. He can play a few positions and he seems to just be the guy that gets it done. I like his attitude on this as well.

Heck ya. He's a class A player. He's not a "household" name, but he plays well consistently. I'll admit that I knew only so lil about him until he was moved to Det., and from what I've seen he'll definitely help the Tigers to the next level.

AA ERA
    The more players that say things like that the more FAs will think about a city and that is important with Detroit.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

For sure. Det. got FAs interested two offseasons ago when they went out and signed some good players such as White, (traded for) Guillen, Vina, Pudge, Urbina, etc. Ever since then players consider Det. now. From what I've been hearing, Tigers have a lot of money this offseason and they could afford giving players some good money to come Detroit. I heard one analyst mention AJ Burnett to Det. Interesting idea, signing him would be great. Having a pitcher of that talent in our young rotation could put Tigers in a better spot to contend way more.

This is good news for Tigers fans. I'm silently rooting for their success, simply because I am a Comerica and Nate Robertson fan.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Robertson is talented and finally coming around. He's been solid this season despite his W-L record. He's been a great part of the rotation this season.