Leyland sees big things from Ordonez | tigers.com: News

Tigers manager Jim Leyland usually doesn't go for statistical predictions. Better not to create expectations for his players when they're certainly capable of creating their own.
With Magglio Ordonez, however, Leyland's expectations mean quite a bit. A year after Ordonez went through probably the most trying season of his career, Leyland is expecting a lot more. But then, the Tigers' 2010 season probably depends on his turnaround.
"I think he'll be absolutely fine. I really do," Leyland said during last week's baseball Winter Meetings in Indianapolis. "I've already gone on record as saying he'll knock in 90 for sure, and I believe that."
Considering Ordonez drove in 50 runs last year, that's a big belief. Considering Ordonez drove in at least 99 in the previous eight seasons in which he played in at least 85 games, it might not be as outrageous.
He's injury prone. Check.

He's almost 36. Check.

In two years, his slugging dropped from .600 to .428. Check!

It begs the question, if he stays reasonably healthy, how much can you really expect? At this point, it's time to see Magglio as a different type of hitter. He's not the middle of the order slugger anymore. But that's not say he can't be effective. A #2 hitter? The OBP is still solid. He still makes a lot of contact (despite consecutive down years, he has hit .317 and .310 to go with a .376 OBP). That doesn't scream amazing, especially for what he's paid, but that can hack it as the 2nd batter. Or dump him lower in the order. He's just not ideal protection for Miguel Cabrera these days.