Thread: Guillen Could Be Done For Year

MLB ERA

Tigers Guillen Could Be Done For Year

"It has become increasingly unlikely that left fielder Carlos Guillen will return to the Detroit Tigers' lineup any earlier than one month from now. And Guillen's season will be in jeopardy if his right shoulder doesn't improve soon.

Guillen's agent, Peter Greenberg, said Monday that there could be a drop-dead date on the decision to have surgery sometime in July, in order to afford Guillen the best chance at making a full recovery before the 2010 season.

Greenberg acknowledged that off-season surgery is a possibility, even if the 33-year-old returns to action this year.

"He is trying to do everything he can to avoid surgery, especially since it's his throwing shoulder," Greenberg said.

According to that timetable, Tigers officials should have definitive word on Guillen's status before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. A power bat is currently one of the team's biggest needs; Detroit ranks among the bottom third of major league teams in production from both corner outfield spots.
    Bad shoulder could cost Tigers' Guillen '09 season - FOX Sports on MSN

That sucks. Hopefully he can do everything he can to avoid having to have surgery but we'll see what happens. Hopefully his recovery is a quick one.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA

Re: Guillen Could Be Done For Year

As one with shoulder problems, I can tell you that they do not "go away" on their own. I'll have to get mine fixed one of these years, when the pain is too much to handle. I feel for Carlos. He's a very good hitter and has been a good fielder through his career.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Guillen Could Be Done For Year

I say Guillen will be shifted back at first base or DH, whichever works for Miguel Cabrera. I don't know if Guillen can hit 20 homers ever again, but he has exceeded expectations since he started as a slick fielding, light hitting middle infielder for Seattle.