Thread: Porcello Wins A Spot

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tigers Porcello Wins A Spot

Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski announced Wednesday morning that Rick Porcello has earned a spot in the starting rotation.
    Porcello, 20, posted a 2.63 ERA in 12 2/3 innings this spring. He was drafted in 2007 out of high school and hasn't made a pitch above Single-A, but the Tigers apparently think he's ready for a big challenge. He managed a 2.66 ERA and 1.19 WHIP as a 19-year-old with high Single-A Lakeland last season.
    Porcello could be this year's Armando Galarraga. I hope he works out but I also hope they monitor his innings and take special care of him. That doesn't mean watch his pitch counts but the Tigers aren't winning anything this year so develop him at the MLB level but don't overdo it. Ease him into it.

MLB ERA

Re: Porcello Wins A Spot

With the Tigers making this move, they don't have a lefty in their rotation. Could spell trouble in the AL Central.
    Seriously, I agree with you on this. The kid seems like he is a pretty good prospect and should do OK with proper coaching (physical and psychological).
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

****ing hell. I wanted this kid and instead we took ****ing Chris Withrow.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Porcello gets a loss in his MLB debut. Porcello gave up 4 ER on nine hits in 5 IP against the Blue Jays. Rough start to the career but he wasn't as bad as some.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I really don't understand moves like this. Porcello has a huge ceiling and I get it that he might have some really nice starts at the big league level, mixed in with some really bad ones, so why not let him learn how to pitch with the big boys? The Tigers are effectively losing out on a cheap year or two (maybe more) to let him learn how to pitch. I can understand AA to MLB but anything lower is just asking for trouble. Obviously I am not an expert on Porcello outside of the scouting I read about him for the 2007 draft, but would it really have killed the Tigers to give him a few months in the minors at an advanced level to see how he fares before calling him up? Just to be safe.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am guessing the Tigers think they have a chance to win in a wide open AL Central this year and need Porcello's services to accomplish that goal. They are completely weak in the rotation so they will even take a guy from A ball. I am positive they will monitor his innings and even skip a start here and there, maybe even send him to the pen for a while. But you have to make a decision, its either Porcello who earned a spot this spring or Dontrelle Willis. I am not sure of Dumborwski's contract but he might be on the hot seat forcing this decision. I know Leyland is definitely on the hot seat.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Good point, it does seem like a move rooted in desperation. Still, if I was running the ship I would have looked for a well stocked pitching team to make a light trade for one of their guys who doesn't make the 5 man cut since the Tigers' lack of depth shouldn't come at the expense of Porcello's development.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I agree, I don't think he is ready either. I was reading today that his velocity dropped in every inning he pitched last night. Its never too late to make a trade or pick up a Pedro.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

That would actually be a good fit for Pedro. The ballpark is forgiving and he could really bolster his numbers there to test the FA waters next year if he stayed healthy.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Leyland is skipping Porcello's start after a rain out. Already the Tigers are doing a good job handling his innings

MLB ERA

If tonight's performance is any indication of what he can do, he should be just fine. He certainly held the Twins at bay tonight. Kubel was the only one that seemed to be able to hit his stuff.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon