Thread: Lyon's and Tigers?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tigers Lyon's and Tigers?

The Detroit Free Press reports that the Tigers are close to signing Brandon Lyon to a multi-year contract that could become official as soon as Friday.
    Agent Barry Meister said previously that Lyon had a two-year, $9 million deal on the table. If he indeed signs with Detroit, Lyon will compete with Fernando Rodney for closing duties. The Cardinals are said to be the other finalists for his services.
    Once again the Cardinals look like they will miss out on yet another reliever. Lyon will likely be the closer to start the season then moved to setup man once Zumaya is ready to go. If Lyon gets this two year, $9 million deal, his agent is a god! No way is he worth that. I wonder if Farnsworth and Lyon have the same agent.

MLB ERA

Re: Lyon's and Tigers?

nice one on the thread title

Lyon's not worth the money, but maybe to the Tigers he is. They need a competent closer to go until Zumaya is ready. Todd Jones was iffy, so hopefully Lyon can do a better job
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tigers also signed Scott Williamson to a MLC. Williamson hasn't pitched in the bigs since '07.

MLB ERA

That is quite a deal for Lyons. He has closed in the past, but is not what I would consider a "quality" closer. The Twins were interested in him as an 8th inning option to get the ball to Nathan, but he, apparently, felt the Tigers' deal was more suitable to him.
    He could come in and surprise everyone by being very good, but then again.....
    All of this being said, I wish him and the Tigers the best this season. My wife is a fan.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

$4.25 million for Lyon is just plain awful and insane. He had an ERA close to 9 after the All Star break last year.

MLB ERA

I do not disagree with that. The Tigers had to overpay Lyons a bit to keep him from going to the Twins as their 8th inning guy. Lyons has closed in the past and I see him geting his share of chances this year in Detroit. Rodney and Zumaya are likely better candidates, but both are very raw, yet and need a bit more seasoning.
    As I said, Lyons could come in and surprise everyone by being the pitcher he has been in the past, but then again........
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rodney, Zumaya and Lyon are all risks at closer. Just another reason the Tigers won't win this season.