Thread: You Can Have Him

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tigers You Can Have Him

Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski said Monday that Edgar Renteria's $12 million option for 2009 will not be picked up.
    "We have advised him that we are not going to pick up his option," Dombrowski said, "but we are not going to close the door. We have to get better at shortstop." The door is closed. The Tigers will save just $9 million after buying out Renteria for $3 million, and he's not going to sign a one-year deal for less than amount. Expect to see Renteria head back to the NL. The Tigers will likely consider other veteran shortstops, but they do have Ramon Santiago as a fallback. They won't want to go long-term with a shortstop since they think Cale Iorg could be the answer by 2010.
    Renteria just needs to stay in the NL! His two years in the AL have been awful all around. He hit .270 this season and .276 in his other year in the AL with Boston. His defense also was awful. Tigers can do better and some NL team will snag him. I see the Giants making a play and a return to St. Louis could be a possibility. Cincy could also be in play. This lifetime .290 hitter will be picked up but he might also have to change positions.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: You Can Have Him

I love the sound of the Detroit bandwagon driving off a cliff.

But, go Freddy A. Garcia, looks like he'll be better than Willis.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

I don't understand him. Edgar does great in the NL. He did great while with the Braves than goes back to the AL and can't repeat. I wished the Braves would of kept him but Escobar showed he is a Major League player.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    This lifetime .290 hitter will be picked up but he might also have to change positions.
    Someone will pick him up, but not for anywhere near what he was making during his last contract. I was hoping the Cardinals would be able to resign him when he was still in St. Louis, but he was overrated at the time, and demanded too much money. If a team can pick him up for a reasonable type of contract (they should be able to now) then he will be a good signing.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't think Renteria was overrated when in St. Louis. He was one of the best SS in the game at the time.

MLB ERA

We would've make you a deal. I'll take Renteria, but someone has to eat Luis Castillo and HIS contract.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I don't think Renteria was overrated when in St. Louis. He was one of the best SS in the game at the time.

I agree! He was known as one of the most underrated players in the game while he was in St. Louis. Something happened though during his last season in St. Louis. People started to notice him. Then when free agency hit, he was offered $10Mil per year by Boston. That's what I mean by being overrated. Renteria was a very good player, and I was hoping he would stay in St. Louis, but not for that price. It was too much then, and is way too much now. As good as Renteria was as a Cardinal, he wasn't worth $10Mil a year.