Thread: Should the Tigers be big sellers at the deadline?

MLB ERA

Tigers Should the Tigers be big sellers at the deadline?

With the season not going as expected and the Tigers not living up to the preseason hype should they start considering packing it in and selling their big names?

Or should they stick it out this year and continue to build around them next year?

They can surely stock up on a lot of talent.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Should the Tigers be big sellers at the deadline?

No.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I can't imagine that Dombrowski would be restocking the farm with Grade A prospects in the most likely event that he sells their old guys such as Sheffield, Pudge, Kenny Rogers, and Todd Jones.

Magglio Ordonez is owed $19M for 2009. Piggy Cabrera will be a Tiger for many, many years. And Verlander, Bonderman, and Granderson are all untouchable.

MLB ERA

I wouldn't give up on them yet. They still have the talent.

...Plus, if I tell them they're done, then I have to admit my Mets are done, which just isn't happening yet

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Its way too soon right now to tell since the Tigers despite all their troubles are only 7.5 games out of first. They can trade certain pieces like Inge for instance to get better pitching.

MLB ERA

Trading Inge would be a bad idea. He is the best 3B on the team. He's also the best backup catcher and a very good outfielder. He can hit, run a bit and throw the ball very well. I would keep him around were I the Tigers.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He is the only guy that can bring in any kind of pitching which they desperately need if they are to do anything this season. His talents are being wasted and backup catchers and infielders are a dime a dozen.

MLB ERA

I think they should trade some of their outfielders or backup infielders for pitching. They have a farm system stocked with good talent and should be able to pick up pitchers for a couple of guys.
    I stand behind my statement that trading Inge would be a bad idea. He is, however, willing to go somewhere else to play more regularly. With Vance Wilson on the DL, he's about the only backup catcher the Tigers have right now. You have to have at least 2 guys that can play that position every day.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You think they should trade their backup infielders and that's what Inge is. The Tigers can call up a catcher or get a backup catcher easily. They really aren't hard to find. Michael Barrett for instance is on a last place Padres team. Tigers really don't have much else of value to trade besides Marcus Thames and they need him. If they package something around Inge while eating some of his salary, a team will give them a decent starting pitcher which they need badly. You have to give something to get something in return. Priorities must come first.