Thread: Granderson to have X-rays Saturday

Tigers Granderson to have X-rays Saturday

Injured Tigers center fielder Curtis Granderson said before Tuesday's game against the Royals that he will have X-rays taken on Saturday on the broken bone in his right hand.

Granderson hopes to see improvement, but regardless of the results, he will remain careful. He has not picked up a ball or bat since being hit by a fastball from Phillies pitcher Travis Blackley in a Spring Training game on March 22. He also has not run any sprints to avoid any possible contact.

He will likely have another X-ray exam taken after another two weeks.

"I'm being cautious," Granderson said. "I'm not 100 percent, and I don't want to make it worse."

Even if the X-ray results are positive, Granderson will not take batting practice until he can swing and miss without pain. Past experience tells him that's a major checkpoint in his recovery.

"When I injured my pinkie in '05, swinging and missing caused the most pain," Granderson said, "so that's how I'll know I'm ready to go."

When asked by reporters if he would be willing to go to Triple-A Toledo for rehab assignments after he gets off the 15-day disabled list, Granderson said he would prefer to stay with the Tigers, but he would gladly play in Toledo if it aids his recovery.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland said he will wait to see the results of the X-rays and how Granderson progresses.

"That's one of those things where nature needs to take its course," Leyland said.

Brandon Inge has played center field in Granderson's absence, and Granderson has been impressed. He saw Inge play center in 2004, but he likes how quickly Inge has adapted to playing the position after playing third base for three years.

"He's got a great arm, and when you have a great arm, you can play just about anywhere," Granderson said of Inge. "He's been great out there."
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Granderson to have X-rays Saturday

Re: Granderson to have X-rays Saturday

Man I love Granderson. I liked reading his columns too. I hope he gets back soon, although I doubt the Tigers offense is going to struggle to much without him.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

Re: Granderson to have X-rays Saturday

I'm sure he'll be fine, it's just a matter of when. If I were the Tigers, I wouldn't worry, but they have to be missing the excitement he brings