Thread: Inge Upset About Tigers Aquiring Cabrera

MLB ERA

Inge Upset About Tigers Aquiring Cabrera

Brandon Inge is angry the Detroit Tigers acquired Miguel Cabrera to replace him at third base.

Inge asked the Tigers to trade him after they made the deal at the winter meetings nearly two months ago, but Detroit hasn't accommodated him.

"They're still trying to trade me, but I need to get ready for the possibility that I'm going to spring training with the Tigers," Inge said Monday, speaking for the first time since the trade. "People have said or written, 'Take your $6 million and be happy sitting on the bench.' But money doesn't make me happy -- playing baseball does."

Inge agreed to a $24 million, four-year contract last winter. After talking to team president Dave Dombrowski on Monday, Inge said he is ready to move on and begrudgingly accept his role as a utility player.

"The only reason I'm bitter, mad and frustrated is that I'm probably not going to play as much as I have in the past," he said.

Inge played 469 games at third base the past three seasons. The 30-year-old Inge plans to work out with Detroit's pitchers and catchers beginning Feb. 15 in Lakeland, Fla., where he will get reacquainted with catching, a position he played for 104 games during the 2003 season.

Inge has a shot to be Ivan Rodriguez's primary backup because Vance Wilson has not recovered from elbow surgery that kept him off the field all of last year.

The versatile Inge also has major league experience at all three outfield positions. He played shortstop and pitched in college at Virginia Commonwealth.
    Brandon Inge bitter and mad about losing job with Tigers - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

I'd be pretty upset if I were him too but I think the Tigers should trade him right now while he still has value instead of benching him and then trying to trade him later on. They wouldn't be able to get as much for him if they traded him later instead if they traded him now.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Re: Inge Upset About Tigers Aquiring Cabrera

Yeah but ball clubs are NOT always that smart. Or maybe they realize that and will be able to get Inge at a musch reduced rate than if it were right now.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Brandon Inge is angry the Detroit Tigers acquired Miguel Cabrera to replace him at third base.
    Brandon if you were a better player who didn't strike out 150 times or hit .236, the team wouldn't have had to replace you! They only did it because you suck! You only have yourself to blame!

MLB ERA

Inge is a far better fielder than Cabrera is at 3B. The Tigers will not be as good defensively as they were last season -- Guillen is unproven at 1B and Cabrera is, as I have said, not an upgrade at 3B.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I cannot believe the Giants aren't aggressively going after Inge. The Giants have some pieces they might want and could have more if they eat a lot of his contract.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Inge is a far better fielder than Cabrera is at 3B. The Tigers will not be as good defensively as they were last season -- Guillen is unproven at 1B and Cabrera is, as I have said, not an upgrade at 3B.
    Guillen played some 1B last season. He did well. So I don't think that will be a problem.

I've heard about Cabrera's bad defense, but lets see what happens. I know that Cabrera is suppose to be in the best shape of his career.

Inge was an amazing defensive player at 3B, he had some crazy range. His hitting, well, it sucked. I rather have Cabrera's bat over Inge's defense.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I cannot believe the Giants aren't aggressively going after Inge. The Giants have some pieces they might want and could have more if they eat a lot of his contract.
    Inge is a nice guy, but I wish someone would take him. As of now, he'll be our backup catcher. Knowing that he is unhappy, I rather not have him in our clubhouse.