Thread: Tigers Extend Willis

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tigers Extend Willis

ESPN is reporting that the Tigers and Dontrelle Willis have agreed to a three-year, $29 million contract.

Willis had to come pretty cheap for this to make any sense at all for the Tigers, and he surprisingly settled for less than Jeremy Bonderman received a year ago. The deal will buy out his first year of free agency. It's still risky for the Tigers given Willis' performance last year, but it's not going to cripple them if it goes bad.
    Tigers would have been smart to at least wait until midseason to see how well he does in the AL. Willis' numbers are declining so what was the rush here? He does come cheaper than everyone else so that is the only upside.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Re: Tigers Extend Willis

Congrats to Willis. I am willing to bet that the Tigers are pre-season bets to win the W.S. next year.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    Congrats to Willis. I am willing to bet that the Tigers are pre-season bets to win the W.S. next year.
    They have a good chance, but lets see how the season goes and lets hope that no big injuries hit us.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Tigers would have been smart to at least wait until midseason to see how well he does in the AL. Willis' numbers are declining so what was the rush here? He does come cheaper than everyone else so that is the only upside.
    I can understand why they would want to sign him up quick. IF he has a breakout season, he'll be looking for a lot more money.

Now the Tigers have to worry about signing Cabrera to a long term deal.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    I would not say this, but the Tigers will be a formidable team to deal with. I expect to see them in the post-season this year and once they make it that far, anything can happen.
    Mets fans will certainly disagree with you, however.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I would not say this, but the Tigers will be a formidable team to deal with. I expect to see them in the post-season this year and once they make it that far, anything can happen.
    Mets fans will certainly disagree with you, however.
    Let Met fans disagree, all they got was Johan Santana. With our lineup, we'll beat Santana. That's if the Mets even make it to the world series.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I can't wait to see D-Train in action, we all know his year was nothing special at all, but he had no motivation also, now playing on a good team, all around with a top 3rd baseman in the league from his previous team, he can probably do something like 15-10 3.67 ERA 213 K's if he doesn't get injured

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think his win loss record will be much improved because of the sick lineup he has protecting him. But, he has to outlive his last season and show us that it was a bad fluke. I have always loved D-train and I hope he kills it this year. But I do have my concerns.

MLB ERA

Dontrelle Willis is coming off two crappy years and leaving a pitcher's park in a pitcher's league. That doesn't bode well.