Thread: Sheffield fined for criticizing umpires

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Sheffield fined for criticizing umpires

MINNEAPOLIS -- Detroit Tigers star Gary Sheffield was fined an undisclosed amount Wednesday by Major League Baseball for recently criticizing umpires.

"Our highly professional umpires protect the integrity of the game on the field. Attacks on their professionalism and character will not be tolerated," commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement.

The often-outspoken Sheffield declined comment following batting practice before Detroit's game at Minnesota.

This punishment stemmed from remarks he made in June regarding a suspension he received for allegedly throwing a piece of his broken bat at home plate umpire Greg Gibson in a May game at Cleveland. Sheffield and manager Jim Leyland disputed Gibson's claim.

When the suspension was reduced from three games to two last month, Sheffield still wasn't happy and lashed out at the umpires.

"It just goes to show you it wasn't true and how corrupt the umpiring system is," he said then. "They can make a statement, and that means it's true."
    To quote Jerry Seinfeld - "Ah, that's too bad."
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: Sheffield fined for criticizing umpires

Gary Sheffield is a racist of the worst kind.

He was always singled out in NY while NO white players were. Credability ZERO. No other player has backed him up. Team leaders GET singled out. DUH!

There's less blacks in baseball than there was during Hank Aaron's day. What's going on here? Our percentage is moving in the wrong direction.

We all realize that blacks dominate pro sports. If a baseball owner can sign an Hispanic player for less money than a equally talented black player, why wouldn't he/she? It is a BUSINESS! A venture to make money. There's no racist conspiracy here. It's just business.

The stupidity of Sheffield is making me very sorry that we signed him. I hope he has a career ending injury by a WHITE GUY so that his paranoid delusion goes with him to the grave.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Sheffield fined for criticizing umpires

Sheff, a born-again Christian, on teammate Shawn Green missing a game with the Dodgers because of Yom Kippur during a crucial pennant stretch: "Religion is an important thing as long as you worship the right God."
    That might be my favorite Gary Sheffield quote.