Tigers Mailbag @ DetroitTigers.com

Jason, What is the future for Omar Infante? Are the Tigers trying to groom him for more of a permanent position, like second base, or are they waiting to see what happens with Carlos Guillen first?
-- Dale L., Ypsilanti, Mich.

For the time being, Infante is a utility player backing up at about four different spots with a home at none of them. It might surprise fans after watching the Tigers trade for Neifi Perez down the stretch, but Tigers manager Jim Leyland calls Infante one of his favorites and a talent, and he could see Infante as an everyday starter at second base if not for Guillen and Placido Polanco in the middle infield. Since Polanco is under contract through 2008, that's not going to change anytime soon. Infante would have to prove something with his arm strength in order to be considered as a potential regular shortstop.

I saw your question last week about the depth of the farm system at catcher -- or, I guess, it would be more correct to say the lack of depth. Are there any other positions where the Tigers' depth is a problem? It looks as if there is good pitching, but what about the field positions, especially third base and center field?
-- Drew W. Toledo, Ohio

Center field is fine for the Tigers with Curtis Granderson there now, and Cameron Maybin heading through the system. Really, the outfield spots in general are deep, which is one reason Detroit could afford to give up Jeff Frazier for Yorman Bazardo. How the Tigers look at third base depends in part on how Kody Kirkland performs this season. The system looks strong in the middle infield, and Jeff Larish provides a presence at first base.

With Pudge Rodriguez's contract coming to an end after this season, what are the odds that he will be in a Tigers uniform next year? Does his option for next year have any triggers that can make it guaranteed?
-- Steve V., Redford, Mich.

I'd say the odds are pretty good. His option does not have any triggers to guarantee it, but his performance is a pretty good trigger in itself. He's still the best defensive catcher in the league, and other than Vance Wilson, the Tigers don't have a potential everyday catcher besides Pudge, let alone somebody who could play anywhere near that level.

Responding to a previous question, would Brandon Inge ever go back behind the plate? I think he is too valuable at third base, or even shortstop, to go back. Any thought?
-- Kenneth, Memphis, Tenn.

Inge is not headed back to catcher, not even in an emergency.

The Tigers traded Nook Logan late last season to the Nationals for that often mentioned of "a player to be named". I have watched and waited and I did have not seen any news about who the Tigers received. Do you happen to know? I have written to the Tigers Web site but never received an answer.
-- Patrick D.

Actually, it was a player to be named or cash in return. The Tigers ended up receiving cash.

I heard the Tigers are considering Joel Zumaya for the starting rotation. Is this true?
-- Tim S., Paw Paw, Mich.

Nope. He's a reliever now, and that's not going to change. The only reason to change that effective of a reliever into a starter would be for lack of depth or for health reasons. The Tigers have plenty of starters as it is, and Zumaya doesn't have a problem with overthrowing. Even when he doesn't try to throw hard, he's approaching 100 mph.