Thread: Biggest Busts

Rookie ERA

Biggest Busts

I come upon the Carl Pavano 'overrated' article.

Gotta love it. I remember the ESPN the Mag article when he was talking like he was 'seriously' considering us. Yea, right.

He was seriously using us to steal Steinbrenners money. Didn't Pavano just go on the 60 day DL for popping a zit?

I know, I'm reaching here but at the time I would've loved to see Pavano with the Old English "D" on his cap.

Another kinda amusing one is the Jaret Wright.

Nothing against the Braves but once upon a time, didn't the Expos offer Cleveland Pedro for Jaret Wright? (I'm just poking fun at Chief Wahoo.)

MLB ERA
    That is nothing against the Braves.

Rookie ERA
    I meant Indians. I was thinking about something else.

Damn, I can't even argue that I've had too much beer.

Lets just think Tigers here. Robert Fick, Eric Munson, that Anderson guy. Matt Anderson? Could throw real fast, but just never got it together. Bobby Higginson was a bust after he got taht big deal from idiot Randy Smith.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I generally don't chime in about the Tigers but Eric Munson was supposed to be the Joe Mauer before Mauer: a middle of the order lefthand hitting catcher, only Munson had more power potential. But Munson was not mobile behind the plate.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    I generally don't chime in about the Tigers but Eric Munson was supposed to be the Joe Mauer before Mauer: a middle of the order lefthand hitting catcher, only Munson had more power potential. But Munson was not mobile behind the plate.
    Ya had to bring up Munson. Yep, remember it well, he was our 'future'. The guy we talked smack about. He was 'the guy' who was going to lead us to the WS.

If you've seen the movie 'Kingpin' you'll remember Roy Munson.

He'd have done just as well.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Lets just think Tigers here. Robert Fick, Eric Munson, that Anderson guy. Matt Anderson? Could throw real fast, but just never got it together. Bobby Higginson was a bust after he got taht big deal from idiot Randy Smith.
    I believe (this is off the top of my head, no research) they drafted Matt Anderson #1 out of Rice. The guy was actually doing fairly well then he had an arm injury. Now he's toiling in the minors somewhere and throwing 88.

Fick has turned into a fairly good hitter, just not in Detroit.

Higginson just plain sucks. I'll leave it at that.

Randy Smith, is it me or did he try and trade all of our good players to Texas. I'd rather be called an a-hole than be called Randy Smith.

Looks for smack forum to begin Randy Smith rant.

Randy Smith was a douche. He was the reason why we sucked so many years. That was one huge mistake. Gave big deals to guys like Dean Palmer, Bobby Higginson, etc. Do we even have anybody from those drafts while he was a GM?

Last I heard about Fick, was that he was in Atlanta. I knew he just sucked in Detroit, I don't know how he's done elsewhere.

Matt Anderson was suppose to be this great reliever, but could just never get it together because of those injuries.

A few others pop in my head, that Seth Greisenger kid. I remember hearing non stop about this guy. Yah, whatever happened to him? Nothing. I don't even know if he's in baseball anymore.

Now, Jeff Weaver. This guy was suppose to be our ace of the future. I would say he's become a solid ML SP. Definitely not an ace. I'll remember him most for bringing us Bonderman, Franklyn German, and my favorite player who got released this season, Carlos Pena. I remember him being on Jerry Springer though.

Do you remember that Andy Van Hekken SP? He started at the ML one game, thought he looked real good, never heard about him again.

What about Franklyn German, he's suppose to be a great RP. Is he down in Toledo for this season? I always thought he was good, but just never great. Hopefully he's down in Toledo refining his skills some more.

Rookie ERA
    German is with the Marlins, it appears that he's not getting a bit of work. Andy Van Hekken looked like he was going to develop into a good pitcher then he fell off the map. I think he spent time with the Braves organization a few years ago.

I liked Jeff Weaver and felt bad for him on quite a few occasions. How many times did he not get to start the eighth or ninth inning with a lead, only to have the bullpen lose it? I think that might've affected him a bit. I still think the only thing he lacks is confidence. His little brother is NASTY though.

Like Van Hekken, Greisinger spent his last year with the Braves organization...and sadly is now out of MLB.

When did we get rid of German? I always thought he was going to be real good.

Hekken, we got rid of him too? He looked real good when he started in the MLs.

Jeff Weaver did have some hard times while he was with Detroit, but he was always just overrated. I remember people calling him this great young pitcher, but I never really saw that. I just saw a real solid pitcher. Which he is. Yah, I've heard about his little bro. Haven't seen him pitch though. So I really can't say too much about him.

Do you know what happened with Greisinger?

Rookie ERA
    Greisinger was granted FA in '02, German was placed on waivers and the Marlins claimed him in April.

German not being a Tiger anymore just sucks.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    German not being a Tiger anymore just sucks.
    He was money one season (I can't remember which one) but I foresaw him as our future closer.

I'll trust Dombrowski and co., they've been pretty darn good so far.

Until he does something monumentally stupid, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.