Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobby Abreu thread

Bobby Abreu thread

Abreu is the name that is most thrown around up here in Detroit. There's a real possibility of the Tigers getting him. So this is just a thread that is going to follow the possible move of Tigers getting him. If we do get Bobby Abreu, that would be an amazing acquisition, IMO. This will also be a thread of reporting whatever we hear, posting articles, etc. Trading deadline is looming.

Lets discuss this some. If we were to get Abreu, would he play DH or OF? If he's out in the OF, who is he going to replace? Ordonez has been hitting great. I don't see Abreu out in CF in place of Granderson. I would hate hate hate to see Thames moved onto the bench, cause Thames has really had a solid season thus far.

My opinion is that Abreu would fit into the DH/OF role. When somebody needs a day off in the OF, Abreu is put out there. If that's not the case, Abreu hits DH.

Abreu has good range in right and a great arm, so he's a good fielding option.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

hmmmmm...... Which makes me wonder, would he be a permanent fixture in the right and then have Ordonez be backup OF/DH. Lot of possibilities. I'm getting excited about Abreu possibly being a Tiger.

Rookie ERA
    I'd love to see him as a Tiger. Lets hope the price isn't too steep. I think every 'rumor mill' has him connected with every contender in MLB, lets just hope the Phillies like our deal the best.

I actually read (I'm going to post the article soon), that if the Phillies aren't wanting one of Detroit Tigers pitchers, the deal is pretty much dead.

Hopefully Phillies can find some hitting specs that they like or another not so major pitching spec.

Link

Q . So who do they trade for, within reason?
    A . Wish we had the answer. If the Phillies expect the Tigers to take on a big contract -- and part with some young stars -- there's no chance at Bobby Abreu.
    Good read. It was just a Q & A with Lynn Henning about the Detroit Tigers playoff push.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Link

Good read. It was just a Q & A with Lynn Henning about the Detroit Tigers playoff push.
    It's going to come down to who has the better sources. Kurkjian said that his sources say that he wouldn't be suprised to see us make a big trade, he went further to say that Dombrowski won't be satisfied with 'merely' making the playoffs...he wants to go far.

FINALLY!!!

Do you got a link, I'd like to read that.

I've always liked Dombrowski, he was a breath of fresh air after that idiot Randy Smith. I'm not surprised that he's just not going to be satisfied with making the playoffs. That is great to hear. This team is having a magical season and a great ending would be to get that world series win. Detroit deserves it. Tigers deserve it. We definitely got the team to do it. I really do hope we get Abreu.

Rookie ERA
    No link, it was on Sportscenter Friday morning.

We've got a very nice team that would be very scary with Abreu. I'll admit that Bondo and Rogers have stunk their last two starts, absolutely wretched.

But

We still won the games. Like Al Davis says, "Just win baby!"

Did you just actually quote Al Davis? Wow. You suck.

No, I agree. Bonderman was horrible. Rogers sucked. Wins are wins. I saw we won tonight 6-0. Didn't look at the boxscore yet. I probably will tommorow though. Or catch the highlights when I go watch some TV here soon.

I've heard more rumblings about Alfonso Soriano than Bobby Abreu, but Abreu is the flirt for every contender as has been said, so anything possible.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

I'm not that big on Soriano really. Abreu provides more OBP, Avg. Better overall player.

I much rather have him. Abreu is actually the more talked about one around here.

Must be different in Detroit then.

I'd likely prefer to have Abreu too, just be warned, most Phillie fans I talk to get extremely frustrated with his inability to do anything good in pressure situations
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Did you just actually quote Al Davis? Wow. You suck.

No, I agree. Bonderman was horrible. Rogers sucked. Wins are wins. I saw we won tonight 6-0. Didn't look at the boxscore yet. I probably will tommorow though. Or catch the highlights when I go watch some TV here soon.
    I don't remember where I saw the Al Davis quote yesterday but for some reason, it just stuck. In all honesty, I can't stand the guy but I can't remember the last time I was so pumped for the Tigers. (other than opening day, every year)

Verlander dominated, nothing short. It's scary to think of him getting better.

Rookie ERA
    I'd pass on Soriano. Isn't he a FA next year? If so, he'll probably want to play 2b again and I've seen that. No thanks.

We need a lefty bat if anything and that's not Soriano. Like RS17 said, Abreu fits our needs better.

What I don't understand is that most 'experts' say that we can't compete with a big market team for Soriano or Abreu. Why not? We've got better prospects than most of the big market teams and an owner that's said we'll spend to improve.

I'm not sure but I'd argue that our farm system and young players rival just about any clubs. If/when we sign Andrew Miller, it could be better than virtually any other teams 'quality' depth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast