Thread: Tigers First Team to 70 Wins

MLB ERA

Tigers First Team to 70 Wins

Would anyone here admit to believing that the Tigers would be the best team in baseball by the end of July? I seriously doubt it, because I didn't think they would either.

The Tigers improved to 70-33 on the season in last night's 8-6 win over the Twins. A game in which Curtis Granderson (who?) hit his 12th homerun and raised his batting average to .284, and veteran journeyman Todd Jones notched his 29th save of the year.

The Tigers currently hold an 8.5 game lead in the AL Central and seem poised to win their first division title since their 98 win season in 1987 under the great Sparky Anderson.

The Tigers success is largely in part due to the emergence of their young starting pitchers Jeremy Bonderman, Justin Verlander, Nate Robertson, and Zach Minor. Bonderman had been a decent starter the last couple of seasons but is having a career year currently at 11-4 with a 3.66 ERA and is striking out nearly a batter an inning with impeccable control. In just his first full season in the bigs, Verlander has emerged as the staff ace having won 13 games with a stellar 2.69 ERA and likewise great control. Robertson and veteran Kenny Rogers have also cracked double digits in wins and rookie Zach Minor has gone 6-2 in 10 starts this year. They also took a gamble on bringing back their former ace closer Todd Jones, who saved 42 games for Detroit in 2000. Despite an ERA near 5 he has still notched 29 saves this year.

Their offense has also been impressive with currently 7 guys in double digits in homeruns, led by Brandon Inge with 20 and former Ranger Marcus Thames with 19. They also have 5 guys in their starting lineup batting .286 or better with superstar catcher Pudge Rodriguez leading the way at .311.

The Tigers as a team rank 6th in the AL in runs scored, 6th in homeruns, and 6th in OPS. The Tiger pitching staff is also the best in the league with a league leading 3.70 team ERA and a league leading .246 opponents batting average.

I am going to go out on a limb and say the Tigers will be in the world series this year. They definately have one of the better blends of youth and experience, not to mention the best pitching staff in the league and almost a top 5 offense.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Rookie ERA
    Nice post. Very nice post.

Rogers has pitched very badly in two of his last three starts but we're finding a way to win. Liriano and all his publicity couldn't beat us. (although he tried his tail off)

I hear all this 'experience' talk and if that's the case, shouldn't the Yanks win the WS all the frigging time?

I think this team is so young that they don't know any better.

Why not us?

MLB ERA
    Thank you.

I hope Rogers can pull it together down the stretch. I really wish the Rangers had tried to resign him but I'm glad he is winning in Detroit, and should have a legit shot a WS ring with them this year. I think the 2003 Marlins proved that you don't need a huge payroll and the most experienced players to win the WS. I seriously do think the Tigers could win the WS this year if their pitching stays good, and they have link to that '03 Marlins team too in my man Pudge Rodriguez.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

PSLJedi31-448th00000

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers What Do You Think Of This.....

In a sport like baseball, I don't always feel that experience is a necessity... I feel that it is over-rated most of the time in baseball. Look at the 2003 Marlins, not a whole lot of "experience" on that team and they went on to win the World Series.

Comparsion of 2006 Tigers and 2003 Marlins

1. Good Managers (here is where experience helps!!!) I have always loved Leyland!!! Especially that year he didn't back down to Bonds.

2. Good Pitching (Good Starters)

3. Momentum seems to be on their side, maybe even destiny??

4. Both teams really seem to enjoy playing ball with other. (CHEMISTRY)

5. Timely hitting helps too!!!

The Tigers seem to have a great nucleus for years to come!!!!!

GO BREWERS!!!

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Molina00
    Thank you.

I hope Rogers can pull it together down the stretch. I really wish the Rangers had tried to resign him but I'm glad he is winning in Detroit, and should have a legit shot a WS ring with them this year. I think the 2003 Marlins proved that you don't need a huge payroll and the most experienced players to win the WS. I seriously do think the Tigers could win the WS this year if their pitching stays good, and they have link to that '03 Marlins team too in my man Pudge Rodriguez.
    I don't think you can quantify just how much Pudge means to the Tigers. Outside of Rogers, we don't have a vet that's been around the block quite a few times. What I mean is, some of these guys have grown by leaps and bounds because of the type of game Pudge calls.

If we had a full time catcher who didn't have Pudge's defensive skills, we'd probably be behind the White Sox, not pulling away from them.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    In a sport like baseball, I don't always feel that experience is a necessity... I feel that it is over-rated most of the time in baseball. Look at the 2003 Marlins, not a whole lot of "experience" on that team and they went on to win the World Series.

Comparsion of 2006 Tigers and 2003 Marlins

1. Good Managers (here is where experience helps!!!) I have always loved Leyland!!! Especially that year he didn't back down to Bonds.

2. Good Pitching (Good Starters)

3. Momentum seems to be on their side, maybe even destiny??

4. Both teams really seem to enjoy playing ball with other. (CHEMISTRY)

5. Timely hitting helps too!!!

The Tigers seem to have a great nucleus for years to come!!!!!

GO BREWERS!!!
    Agreed on all points. It seems like we find ways to win.

I'll admit, Todd Jones scares the hell out of me at times but Leyland knows more than I ever will, so if he's good enough for him, he's good enough for me.

We've had a lot of clutch plays and we had one bad inning today, but it just amazes me how we can lose one game and most fans are soooo quick to jump on that as the beginning of our downfall.

Earth to these people, we can afford to lose a game. It's not like the White Sox and Twins are breathing down our necks.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerstripes
    I don't think you can quantify just how much Pudge means to the Tigers. Outside of Rogers, we don't have a vet that's been around the block quite a few times. What I mean is, some of these guys have grown by leaps and bounds because of the type of game Pudge calls.

If we had a full time catcher who didn't have Pudge's defensive skills, we'd probably be behind the White Sox, not pulling away from them.
    I'm not so sure you would be behind the Sox but knowing the kind of player Pudge is offensively and defensively, he did spend over a decade in Texas, it probably wouldn't be as big of a lead as it is. He hasn't been the same offensively since leaving Texas but he has been a big difference maker on both teams he has been with since then.

I just hate that he spent 12 years in Texas without a world series ring and then got one the first season after he leaves, but I'm glad he's got one. Hopefully he'll add one more this year.

PSLJedi31-448th00000

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Molina00
    I'm not so sure you would be behind the Sox but knowing the kind of player Pudge is offensively and defensively, he did spend over a decade in Texas, it probably wouldn't be as big of a lead as it is. He hasn't been the same offensively since leaving Texas but he has been a big difference maker on both teams he has been with since then.

I just hate that he spent 12 years in Texas without a world series ring and then got one the first season after he leaves, but I'm glad he's got one. Hopefully he'll add one more this year.
    I'm with you on final part but I think that Pudge calls a hell of a game and has (on more than one occasion) settled down a very spastic pitcher.

Bonderman might be the greatest case of this. If anyone watched the Tigers/Reds game that Bonderman started, he had absolutely no confidence in his slider. (read what Justin Morneau said about it today) Bonderman threw gas, gas, and more gas. Unfortunately you can't do that with the Reds. He settled down and started to pitch well. (In a loss)

We might not be behind the Chi Sox but my point is that he's invaluable to our young staff. I just wish that we could get Sanchez up and let him work with Pudge.