Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bobby Abreu thread

Quote Originally Posted by tigerstripes
    I don't remember where I saw the Al Davis quote yesterday but for some reason, it just stuck. In all honesty, I can't stand the guy but I can't remember the last time I was so pumped for the Tigers. (other than opening day, every year)

Verlander dominated, nothing short. It's scary to think of him getting better.
    No doubt. I saw a part of the game. FSN Detroit replayed it around 2 AM. Verlander pitched great, he's still got more potential that has been untapped. He's going to be an amazing SP for Detroit. Imagine a rotation of Verlander-Bonderman-Humberto Sanchez-Zumaya-Andrew Miller

Wow. Of course, it's going take some time for Miller to develope. But the first four are all ML ready to be in the rotation. So figure the 5th spot to go to Maroth, Robertson, or even Zach Minor.

I have a good feeling that Zumaya may stay in the bullpen next season. Leyland will bring Sanchez up into the bullpen too.

Right now, I just don't see the Tigers trading Maroth or Robertson to make room for the younger guys.

I've always been very optimistic with the Tigers. You had to be. I was all behind Trammel, saying he was a good manager. We just need to get more talent, blah blah blah. Tigers still sucked. Leyland has breathed some fresh air into this dieing club, look what happened. Tigers are the best team in baseball.

I'd pass on Soriano. Isn't he a FA next year? If so, he'll probably want to play 2b again and I've seen that. No thanks.

We need a lefty bat if anything and that's not Soriano. Like RS17 said, Abreu fits our needs better.

What I don't understand is that most 'experts' say that we can't compete with a big market team for Soriano or Abreu. Why not? We've got better prospects than most of the big market teams and an owner that's said we'll spend to improve.

I'm not sure but I'd argue that our farm system and young players rival just about any clubs. If/when we sign Andrew Miller, it could be better than virtually any other teams 'quality' depth.
    Yah, Soriano is a FA next year. At 2B, . I'd definitely pass on that. Polanco is a lot better at 2B.

I don't really care for a lot of "experts", cause they're merely stating their opinion. Their opinion is not always right. We can compete with big markets. As you said, our farm system is pretty darn deep and one of the better ones in the country. Dombrowski has done a wonderful job with building our farm. Guys like Preston Larrison, Cameron Maybin, Humberto Sanchez, Andrew Miller (when he signs), and others. Our farm system is pretty darn good.

We have the ability to get Abreu or any other hitter that Dombrowski feels we should get.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Yah, Soriano is a FA next year. At 2B, . I'd definitely pass on that. Polanco is a lot better at 2B.

I don't really care for a lot of "experts", cause they're merely stating their opinion. Their opinion is not always right. We can compete with big markets. As you said, our farm system is pretty darn deep and one of the better ones in the country. Dombrowski has done a wonderful job with building our farm. Guys like Preston Larrison, Cameron Maybin, Humberto Sanchez, Andrew Miller (when he signs), and others. Our farm system is pretty darn good.

We have the ability to get Abreu or any other hitter that Dombrowski feels we should get.
    I concur.

After what we've done so far this year, I'll be fine with anything that Dombrowski decides. What's great though is that we've got the potential to add a LH bat in our organization and if we don't make a deal, we've got prospects who are very close to being ready.

Rumor has it that once signed, Miller will be ready as fast or faster than Verlander. Maybin is hitting .320 and IMHO, Sanchez has been ready.

Things are looking very, very good.

Lets hope they're looking better in October.

I concur.

After what we've done so far this year, I'll be fine with anything that Dombrowski decides. What's great though is that we've got the potential to add a LH bat in our organization and if we don't make a deal, we've got prospects who are very close to being ready.

Rumor has it that once signed, Miller will be ready as fast or faster than Verlander. Maybin is hitting .320 and IMHO, Sanchez has been ready.

Things are looking very, very good.

Lets hope they're looking better in October.
    The only spec that I know who is real close to being ready is Sanchez. That's pretty obvious by his stats this season.

Well, that's actually great to hear about Miller. We can expect to see him possibly next year or even the year after that. That would be great, cause I'm really excited about him. Everything I heard points to him being a real good SP after he developes some more.

How old is Maybin? I want to say around 20. I still say he has a couple more seasons in the minors before being considered ML ready. No need to rush Maybin really. He's a 5 tool prospect and Dombrowski should take it slow with him. So he can actually develope into being an all around great player, like he should be.

I know we have a hard schedule in August. I don't see any reason as to why we should be afraid of playing the White Sox. We have a 4.5 game lead on them right now. They're team isn't looking that great, which shows by them being killed by the Yankees yesterday. I have a good feeling that this is Tigers year to win the world series. It's been a long 22 years.

Rookie ERA
    The only spec that I know who is real close to being ready is Sanchez. That's pretty obvious by his stats this season.

Well, that's actually great to hear about Miller. We can expect to see him possibly next year or even the year after that. That would be great, cause I'm really excited about him. Everything I heard points to him being a real good SP after he developes some more.

How old is Maybin? I want to say around 20. I still say he has a couple more seasons in the minors before being considered ML ready. No need to rush Maybin really. He's a 5 tool prospect and Dombrowski should take it slow with him. So he can actually develope into being an all around great player, like he should be.

I know we have a hard schedule in August. I don't see any reason as to why we should be afraid of playing the White Sox. We have a 4.5 game lead on them right now. They're team isn't looking that great, which shows by them being killed by the Yankees yesterday. I have a good feeling that this is Tigers year to win the world series. It's been a long 22 years.
    It's been too long.

I've read that Miller's slider is downright unhittable at times. His college catcher says that when it's working, he makes hitters look silly. (I'll try and find the link)

Maybin is 19 and won't turn 20 until 4/07. From what I've heard on 1130 the fan (out of Detroit) is that Maybin is untouchable. They said that Sanchez could be a possibility and maybe Zach Miner, but Maybin and Zumaya are untouchables and that other teams might as well not even ask.

August will be tough but we're due against the Chisox.

I could see Miner being a possibility at being traded. Just because we have an overabundance of great young SPs. Though it would be a shame, because Miner has really done well in his stint up in the MLs. Sanchez would be a shock really, it would be hard to give up a player of that caliber even if it would be for Abreu.

Zumaya and Maybin being untouchables is very understandable. Dombrowski would be ran out of Detroit if he traded one of those two for Abreu or another hitter. Maybin is very well known for just being a 19 yr old minor leaguer. Zumaya has "wowed" Detroit fans with his amazing velocity and just overall presence when he's on the mound. I love seeing Zumayas reaction when he gets a 3-2 strikeout (something of that sort).

I've tried to read up on Miller. I know he was drafted before he went into college and by just going to college, he really increased his draft stock. Anyways, he really sounds like a great future SP for us. I can't wait to see him pitch in the MLs. It'll be an exciting first start to watch.

I'm not really worried by the ChiSox. These fans of theirs think they're going to come in and kick some Tigers ass. I'm just not seeing it. White Sox showed that they are pretty beatable with this last series against the Yankees.

2:34 p.m. ET
    Though there's not much supporting evidence presented, The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Detroit Tigers are close to acquiring Bobby Abreu from the Philadelphia Phillies.

Yahoo! Sports' Take: The Tigers have denied having interest in Abreu for the last month, probably because they would have to assume Abreu's monster contract. He is owed $13 million in 2006 and $15 million in 2007, plus a $16 million club option for 2008. Because of Abreu's full no-trade clause, Abreu controls his future. He would almost surely demand that option be picked up in order to move to Detroit or anywhere else, meaning he would be owed about $38 million over the next 2½ seasons. That severely limits his trade value.
    Link

Going to read the St. Paul article. Then give you my thoughts.

Well the article just basically stated a one sentence line that basically said what Yahoo! stated.

Anyways, taking on that money will be tough. Really, I wish there was some type of clue as to who we would give up for Abreu. Cause that's pretty important. If we give up a lot, we better get some type of cash along with Abreu.

If we take on Abreu's full contract, hopefully we wouldn't have to give up as much. As for Abreu's no trade clause, I'm really not worried about that. Why wouldn't Abreu want to come to the Tigers and be here, when we win the world series.

AA ERA
    Sounds like there may be something serious to these rumors because you hear one day that their not interested, then hear the opposite the next.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports the Tigers are close to acquiring Bobby Abreu. ... Abreu has also been the subjects of many rumors out of New York, especially after Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said he liked the right fielder.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Rookie ERA
    Well the article just basically stated a one sentence line that basically said what Yahoo! stated.

Anyways, taking on that money will be tough. Really, I wish there was some type of clue as to who we would give up for Abreu. Cause that's pretty important. If we give up a lot, we better get some type of cash along with Abreu.

If we take on Abreu's full contract, hopefully we wouldn't have to give up as much. As for Abreu's no trade clause, I'm really not worried about that. Why wouldn't Abreu want to come to the Tigers and be here, when we win the world series.
    I could see a lesser prospect, but they won't get a Sanchez or anyone like that, with us taking on the contract. Not happening.

I think most of this is posturing between teams, and if it's just about dumping salary then the Yanks will probably get Abreu because they're just a bank with stripes. If it's about prospects and salary, we'll be just fine.

Rookie ERA
    Just saw this on ESPN.com:

Detroit manager Jim Leyland said, barring something "freaky," a Tigers beat writer had a better chance of managing the team next week than Detroit had of acquiring Philadelphia outfielder Bobby Abreu.

Really? Could be just a smokescreen. Damn it, I was getting all excited for Abreu too.

That means Phillies asked for to much. Dombrowski was smart and said no.

Hopefully Phillies get desperate and lessen the price for Abreu as we get more near the trading deadline.

Rookie ERA
    Really? Could be just a smokescreen. Damn it, I was getting all excited for Abreu too.

That means Phillies asked for to much. Dombrowski was smart and said no.

Hopefully Phillies get desperate and lessen the price for Abreu as we get more near the trading deadline.
    Like any good businessman you always have to ask for the stars. Gillick wouldn't be in the position he is, if he didn't have high demands.

I'm just hoping Dmitri can keep hitting as it will definitely increase our leverage.

Rookie ERA
    Dmitri increased our leverage. It looks like we don't need Abreu. I'm glad because he's a Yank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12