Thread: Young To Start Conditioning Program In Minors

Tigers Young To Start Conditioning Program In Minors

DETROIT (AP) -- Tigers designated hitter Dmitri Young, who pleaded no contest this week to a domestic violence charge in Michigan, is headed to Florida for a workout and conditioning program.

Young was traveling Wednesday to Lakeland, Fla., and at some point is scheduled to play for Detroit's Triple-A affiliate in Toledo, Ohio.

He was placed on the 15-day disabled list May 22 with a quadriceps injury and was granted permission to leave the team to deal with personal issues.

"I don't anticipate him being back for three, four weeks at the earliest," Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said. "He's been out a long time. He hasn't played a lot."

Young and his lawyer missed a court appearance earlier this month, and an arrest warrant was issued for the player, who is accused of choking a 21-year-old woman from Toledo on April 14 at a suburban Detroit hotel.

Young was arraigned Friday after he reported to the court in Bloomfield Hills. He pleaded no contest on Tuesday to the domestic violence charge, 48th District Court administrator Jim Harkins said Wednesday.

A no contest plea in Michigan is not an admission of guilt but is treated as such for sentencing purposes.

Young could face up to 93 days in jail and a $500 fine.

A message seeking comment was left Wednesday for Paul Rinaldi, Young's new lawyer.

"You don't want to see anybody go through what he has," teammate Brandon Inge said Wednesday morning before Detroit's game against the Houston Astros. "He's a part of our family, so we all wish him nothing but the best."

Young is in his 11th major league season and fifth with Detroit. He was hitting .169 in 59 at-bats with four RBIs. Young began the year with a career batting average of .291 with 147 home runs and 576 RBIs. Young was an All-Star in 2003.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland said he would not spend a lot of time discussing Young's situation.

"You go through the process, and when you're ready, we'll see what happens," Leyland said.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Maybe he can start being healthy. Hes a decent player when he is.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Exactly. I just hope he gets his whole life together, hes a lot happier obviously. Plus, he's just a great clubhouse guy and a fun guy to see on the Det. Tiger shows.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I didnt know how he was in the Clubhouse.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    Maybe he can start being healthy. Hes a decent player when he is.
    Exactly. We can only hope though. I believe the main reason he was playing poor was because of all the things going on in his life. While that is no excuse, he is a good player when he wants to be. Hopefully things will start to turn around for him.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by babar
    Exactly. We can only hope though. I believe the main reason he was playing poor was because of all the things going on in his life. While that is no excuse, he is a good player when he wants to be. Hopefully things will start to turn around for him.
    It's not an excuse but we're all human. As I've said in a previous post, I have a love/hate Dmitri relationship.

I love his potential but hate his work ethic.

I truly hope he has overcome his personal demons and can put on a hitting display for all of MLB to see.