Thread: Tear down Tiger Stadium, Detroit mayor says

AA ERA

Tigers Tear down Tiger Stadium, Detroit mayor says

DETROIT -- Tiger Stadium will be demolished to make way for homes and stores under a plan that will save parts of the historic baseball venue.

A portion of the field will be kept as a Little League diamond along with part of the stadium.

"I think it's something everybody will enjoy and love," Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick said Friday.

The decision to demolish the stadium follows years of intense efforts to find a developer who would refurbish it or convert it to other uses. It has been largely vacant since the Detroit Tigers moved out in 1999 in favor of the new downtown Comerica Park.

"Nobody was interested in the site with a stadium on it," Kilpatrick said following a dedication ceremony for church-sponsored housing development project.

The project will include 150 to 300 homes and retail space.

The cost of demolition will be anywhere from $2 million to $6 million, said Peter Zeiler, an aide to Jackson. It will be offset by the value of the stadium as scrap and as a treasure chest of sports memorabilia, which could include seats and signs.

He said the city hopes to find a salvage contractor familiar with marketing sports memorabilia that can begin offering pieces of the stadium to the public by October.

"The possibility of something happening at that site is very exciting," said City Councilman Ken Cockrel Jr., who said he would reserve judgment on the plan until the council receives financial details.

The Tigers began playing at the site near downtown late in the 19th century and moved into Tiger Stadium in 1912.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Thats a shame that Tiger Stadium is being demolished. That was a pretty unique stadium.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I saw the Rockets game on Classic at Tigers Stadium. I miss that.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Rookie ERA
    I'm a native Detroiter and they better not tear down Tiger Stadium. I grew up going to tons of ball games there and it's one of the symbols of my childhood. I think there is going to be a big protest for this and I don't see why Kwame would ever even think of doing something this terrible..

Kwame Kilpatrick is an idiot.

With that said, it's the best thing to do. Nobody wants to make Tiger stadium into something and the plans I've heard of what they're going to do with the land that Tiger stadium sits on, is a great plan. It's the best thing for Detroit.