Thread: Colon finding his role in the bullpen

Colon finding his role in the bullpen

Link

TORONTO -- Roman Colon's future as a reliever seems to be set. Now it's a matter of finding a role.

When Colon's audition as a starter ended after one outing two weeks ago, he said he'd keep trying to pitch his way into another opportunity. As long as he's in the bullpen, he's looking to work his way into bigger situations.

"I know I need to show the manager that he can trust me in any situation," Colon said Saturday, "not just as a long reliever."

Saturday's performance was a start. Though he gave up a home run to Troy Glaus on a hanging slider, the solo shot was the only hit he allowed in two innings with a three-run lead to work with.

"To me, he was one of the MVPs yesterday," manager Jim Leyland said. "He got some big outs for us."

Not only did it mark Colon's first hold as a Tiger, it was just the second time in 14 relief appearances over his Detroit career that he entered in a save situation of any kind. He isn't trying to make a case as a closer, but he wants to be someone who can be counted on to protect leads in the seventh or eighth inning.

"When [Joel] Zumaya has a day off or [Fernando] Rodney has a day off, he can use me," Colon said of Leyland. "I'll be out there. All I have to do is keep pitching the way I did today, and hopefully he'll give me more opportunities."

Depending on the situation, he might get them.

"I think he's an ideal guy for a right-handed-hitting lineup for one time around the order," Leyland said.

His chances would be better with a pitch he could use to retire left-handed hitters, which have proven to be his problem as a starter. As Colon has shown, he's a different style of pitcher as a reliever.

"His fastball's usually got a little more heat on it," catcher Vance Wilson said. "He doesn't have to establish his slider, establish his split-finger. It's a good role for him. The biggest thing is he's just able to come in and throw. He doesn't have to think and take his time setting stuff up. He doesn't have to pace himself."

The difference for Colon, even between middle and long relief, is in the mindset.

"As a long reliever, you're not going to go out there and do everything in a hurry," he said. "You get to calm yourself down and go pitch by pitch. When you come in as a [middle to late] reliever, you have to come in throwing strikes and make things happen."
    This is what I've been saying all along. A good RP, a horrible SP. Glad to see him sticking to the bullpen where he has always pitched the best. I like Colon, he's a great pitcher. Hopefully we see him out there instead of Grilli or Seay.

You mean, you guys ACTUALLY started Colon?

Jeez...
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

It was last year, and we were.....we were desperate.

Yah I know....pathetic.

He did start once this yr, but Leyland learned quick that Colon wasn't a SP. IIRC, he started right after Maroth went down. I could be wrong though.