Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivan Rodriguez Leaves Game With Back Spasms

Tigers Ivan Rodriguez Leaves Game With Back Spasms

CHICAGO (AP) -- Tigers catcher Ivan Rodriguez left Tuesday's game against the Chicago White Sox with lower back spasms and is day to day.

Rodriguez struck out to end the second and caught the bottom half, but did not come out for the third. Vance Wilson replaced him behind the plate for Detroit.

A 12-time All-Star, Rodriguez was batting .309 with four homers and 25 RBIs before Tuesday's game.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-t...ov=ap&type=lgns

I figured we'd make a thread for this, considering Rodriguez is a key to the Tigers success. Rodriguez is still a great defensive catcher, and great catching a young staff. He isn't the best offensively, but as long as he hits .300, he doesn't have to be. Rodriguez, being in his mid 30's, could be out for an extended period of time just to rest his back, and anything serious would put a real damper on the Tigers right now. This couldn't come at a worse time for Detroit.

MLB ERA
    heh, that just sounds funny.

"Isn't the best offensively, but as long as he hits .300, he doesn't have to be". Batting .300 is kind of the benchmark, isn't it? WHere you go from "good" to "damn good" at the plate? As long as he's batting .300, he's doing just fine offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    heh, that just sounds funny.

"Isn't the best offensively, but as long as he hits .300, he doesn't have to be". Batting .300 is kind of the benchmark, isn't it? WHere you go from "good" to "damn good" at the plate? As long as he's batting .300, he's doing just fine offensively.
    I mean, it's clear that his home run power is not there anymore, and his plate discipline is nothing special. So, to get on base, he is going to have to hit .300. Plus, for a catcher, I think that .300 is over the bench mark, considering all of the other work they have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz
    I figured we'd make a thread for this, considering Rodriguez is a key to the Tigers success. Rodriguez is still a great defensive catcher, and great catching a young staff. He isn't the best offensively, but as long as he hits .300, he doesn't have to be. Rodriguez, being in his mid 30's, could be out for an extended period of time just to rest his back, and anything serious would put a real damper on the Tigers right now. This couldn't come at a worse time for Detroit.
    Pudge is a key part to the Tigers success?

I would consider Leyland to be a key part to the Tigers success.

Plus, Vance Wilson fills in for Pudge quite nicely.

AAA ERA
    I would agree. Leyland has made the difference this season for the Tigers. They had Rodriguez last season so the improvement this year appears to be due to Leyland and his staff! JMO

Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Pudge is a key part to the Tigers success?

I would consider Leyland to be a key part to the Tigers success.

Plus, Vance Wilson fills in for Pudge quite nicely.
    But is Vance Wilson as good a defensive catcher as Rodriguez? Is he as dangerous a hitter as Rodriguez? I don't think so, far from it. Especially considering that, if Rodriguez goes on the DL, your two catchers are Vance Wilson and Brandon Inge.

I don't doubt Leyland being key to the Tigers success, he's been a great influence on this team, and they have the perfect blend of young players and veterans. But, Rodriguez catching this pitching staff is great, because his defensive abilities can diminish pitching mistakes they make, and many runners are hesitant to steal on Rodriguez. That safety net gives pitchers confidence to take chances against batters.

Well, it's ignorant, but it's the truth. Have you watched any Tigers games?

Vance Wilson is actually as good defensively as Pudge. Maybe even better. No Vance isn't as good offensively, but he fills in for Pudge quite well. You act like Pudge is out for the rest of the season. The article states "day to day". I don't see what the big deal is.

If Pudge is the reason this team has been succesful, then why haven't we been this good the last two seasons (before this season) he has been here? Huh?

I give credit where credit is due. Credit is due to this great coaching staff that Leyland has put together. This team would NOT be as good as it is right now if it wasn't for Leyland.

Yes, our only backup catchers are Wilson, Inge, and not to mention Shelton can catch if he wants to. Shelton played catcher before he was moved to 1B by the Tigers. Pitchers have gained confidence because of the coaching staff, and the great pitching coach Chuck Hernandez.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear
    I would agree. Leyland has made the difference this season for the Tigers. They had Rodriguez last season so the improvement this year appears to be due to Leyland and his staff! JMO
    Exactly. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Well, it's ignorant, but it's the truth. Have you watched any Tigers games?

Vance Wilson is actually as good defensively as Pudge. Maybe even better. No Vance isn't as good offensively, but he fills in for Pudge quite well. You act like Pudge is out for the rest of the season. The article states "day to day". I don't see what the big deal is.

If Pudge is the reason this team has been succesful, then why haven't we been this good the last two seasons (before this season) he has been here? Huh?

I give credit where credit is due. Credit is due to this great coaching staff that Leyland has put together. This team would NOT be as good as it is right now if it wasn't for Leyland.

Yes, our only backup catchers are Wilson, Inge, and not to mention Shelton can catch if he wants to. Shelton played catcher before he was moved to 1B by the Tigers. Pitchers have gained confidence because of the coaching staff, and the great pitching coach Chuck Hernandez.
    Rodriguez had his first season in Detroit in 2004. That was Jeremy Bonderman's second year in the majors, and he was 22 years old at that time. 04 was also the first full season for Nate Robertson, and he was 26. Maroth was also 26, and in his third MLB season. Both Bonderman and Maroth were coming off seasons with plenty of losses (19 and 21 respectively)

The big thing is, these pitchers improving after each season because of their experience, and their turnaround happened under Rodriguez's watch, not that of Jim Leyland. If the pitching coach had made major changes to any of those players deliveries, they would be like the Orioles under Mazzone, still trying to learn and implement those new things. It is obvious Leyland and Co. tweaked some things, not whole changes.

Wilson may be as good as Rodriguez defensively, but I havn't heard that kind of glaring praise before. Certainly, I wasn't impressed when I saw him catch when they played the Orioles earlier.

As I said, the credit for this year certainly goes to Leyland and his guys. However, Rodriguez has caught them for the past two seasons, and guided them as they improved drastically. He deserves credit as well.

Oh, and the reason we are discussing this so intently is because back spasms could put Pudge on the DL. He's had back problems before, and as a 30-something catcher, could prevent him from catching. Also, because we can debate who deserves more credit.

Pudge Rodriguez is on steroids.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Quote Originally Posted by General
    Pudge Rodriguez is on steroids.
    No offense, but would you care to back up that statement with fact, or at least detail some sort of opinion?

No, I like my opinion where it is.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz
    The big thing is, these pitchers improving after each season because of their experience, and their turnaround happened under Rodriguez's watch, not that of Jim Leyland. If the pitching coach had made major changes to any of those players deliveries, they would be like the Orioles under Mazzone, still trying to learn and implement those new things. It is obvious Leyland and Co. tweaked some things, not whole changes.
    Pleas make up your mind before you post your thoughts. This paragraph is a contradiction of itself. The 2nd half of it disagrees with the 1st half.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

AAA ERA
    ThomasTomasz...Are you saying that Jim Leyland and his staff have had no effect on this team and that all improvement is due to Rodriguez. If this is what you are saying than I think you are missing a great coaching job done by this Staff. Leyland Has done a fine job since he went to the Tigers and even though Rodriguez is a fine catcher thats as far as it goes. JMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast