Thread: Shelton's fast start getting noticed

Shelton's fast start getting noticed

Link

There's performing "in the zone," but Chris Shelton existed in an even higher stratosphere during the baseball season's opening days. There's no describing the sensation when a hitter believes he can do no wrong. Pitches, in his eyes, grew to the size of cantaloupes. A 36-ounce bat whipped through the contact zone with the ease of a toothpick.

If only he could handle the attention his season-opening brilliance brought as comfortably.

"Red Pop's" eyes almost popped out of his head when a herd of cameras and notepads descended upon his Comerica Park cubicle Monday following the Tigers' home opener.

"Man, this is crazy," Shelton said.

But this is the consequence of years of baseball irrelevance in Detroit. One exceptional week and simple appreciation crosses the line to crazed overreaction. It has been a nice start for Shelton and the Tigers, and it's certainly more entertaining when any national acknowledgment of the Tigers isn't exclusive to punch lines.

But as Shelton described a start that earned him American League player of the week honors, he kept coming back to one word -- overwhelming.

The endless congratulatory phone calls from family and friends and a crush of media attention spun the 25-year-old's head to the point of dizziness. But the strangest call came one morning in Texas from ESPN. A "Baseball Tonight" producer desperately wanted him for that evening's broadcast.

"And my first reaction was 'Me? Why?' " Shelton said. "And I wasn't thinking about the home runs. I was thinking that I'm not the kind of guy that people normally pay attention to, so all that fuss didn't make sense to me.

"It's only one week into the season, but then I see my name up there with some of the other players who hit five home runs in their first four games and I think to myself of how my name doesn't belong there with those guys."

Does he shake his head in amazement at the degree of his newly discovered celebrity?

"Every minute," he said.

Shelton's discomfort is amusing because if he had hit .100 in the season's first week instead of nearly .600, he would be free to come and go as he chooses without fear of media stalking. The price of success is greater expectations and Jim Leyland will watch this closely, waiting to see how Shelton responds to the inevitable return to mortality.

That'll serve as the true barometer of this young man's capabilities.

"He's just a solid, hard-working player who quietly goes about his business," Brandon Inge said. "I'm sure all of this has caught him off a guard a little, but he's the type of guy who can keep all of this in perspective. He knows there are still, what, 155 games or so left."

Shelton is a so-called "professional hitter," possessing the plate discipline necessary for rarely getting cheated in an at-bat. The Tigers have been looking for such a presence for years. Little did they realize they would fill that void via the Rule 5 list, baseball's redheaded stepchild of player procurement.

Shelton embodies the mysteries of player development in baseball, demanding as much luck as ingenuity. Pittsburgh selected him in the 33rd round of the 2001 amateur draft, but the Pirates stupidly branded him as exclusively a designated hitter, thereby offering Shelton no room on the team's 40-man roster in December 2003 -- rendering him eligible for the Rule 5 draft.

The Tigers got him for $50,000. There should be warrants for Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski's arrest for grand larceny charges in Pittsburgh as well as criminal stupidity charges against the Pirates' front office.

The Bucs were nuts. Considering how fundamentally sound hitters are worth their weight in season ticket sales, did they ever consider working with Shelton a little more with a defensive instructor?

"I'm just happy for the opportunity to play ball every day," said Shelton, who's hitting .536 with five homers and 10 RBIs. "I would rather just get in, do my job and get out without dealing with all of the questions. But I guess it comes with the territory. If we weren't winning, nobody would want to talk to me then. And that's the most important thing."

The young man hasn't seen anything yet. Just imagine how it insane it'll get here should the Tigers have a winning record at the 30-game marker?
    Great article and really captures the hype around Shelton up here in Detroit. Now if only Shelton could've continued that hot streak, heck, I'd be happy if he started a new hot streak today against the White Sox.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    He hit #6 today in the Tigers loss.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    He hit #6 today in the Tigers loss.
    Yah, I heard. I'm not going to look at the boxscore quite yet. I feel like staying in a decent mood.

Oh yah, Shelton had a nice game today. Probably one of the only players I'm happy with in todays game. I'm not even going to analyze the game like I usually do, because the Tigers pitching today have pissed me off too much.

Great job Shelton on hitting another HR!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Shelton is insane!!! Where did this kid come from?

Well, this would be a great time to post a memory.

Shelton was actually one of my first memories in becoming a Tiger fan. I've only been a Tiger fan since I've moved up here. It's the only thing on TV come baseball time, so you become a fan. Not to mention all the people here constantly talked Tiger baseball, so I came to learn the team.

Anyways, I remember striking up a nice long convo come Rule V time. It was actually a favorite of the Tiger fans that surround me. Up comes Chris Shelton's name. A Catcher/1B. We knew he was a good hitter, but we also knew he was coming with horrible defense.--We didn't understand why Pirates didn't protect him, but we thought he could be a steal.--So anyways, there were thoughts of this guy being our DH basically, possibly playing 1B. Somewhat like a David Ortiz. Well , last season, was his real first season. His first season was basically expected for him to just get the feel of the ML.

So, last season he kind of just busted out of his shell some. Really, I won't judge anybody off of last season with Trammel as manager. Trammel was just horrible. So new manager this season, new hitting coach, Shelton is just primed for a huge season. So far he's done just that. It's nice to see the hot streak in the beginning, then the hitless couple of games, then him bouncing back the last two games with the HRs. So overall, the guy is just becoming an all around great power hitter, and even defensive guy. The best part is that he's keeping a good head on his shoulders, and he's not getting big headed over all the attention he's getting right now.

Just makes me proud to be a Tigers fan, and heck, I'm a Chris Shelton fan. It's a great feeling to see him come up to the plate in game time.

Just my "rant" for the day.