• B/S Facebook

• Follow Us On Twitter

• Lou Piniella named new Cubs manager - but is it the right move?

As the season ended, and another year of disappointment came to a bubble in Wrigleyville as the post season began, whispers about a new manager and replacement for Dusty Baker whose contract was not extended came into fruition. Talk spread throughout the papers, online message boards, blogs, and every other outlet a Cubs fan or beat writer could express his or her thoughts on who should be the next Cubs manager . The main two options were clear from the get-go: recently named Manager of the Year and people’s choice Joe Girardi, and the hot-headed, but prominent and successful Lou Piniella.

As the search wound down after interviews with both candidates, Jim Hendry seemed fit to make Lou Pinella his man, a move that was officially announced this Tuesday to kick off the off-season for the Cubs with a bang. For 9 million over 3 years, Piniella becomes the Cubs the Cubs 48th manager of all-time, where he will try to bring the ultimate goal to Wrigleyville: a world series victory.

But is this the right move?

I like Piniella. I like him a lot. Do I think he'd be a good fit for the players after a guy like Dusty? Definitely, I've thought for awhile this is just what they needed.

But do I like the hiring as a whole? I'm just not sure yet.

First and foremost, I'm a Girardi fan, but not necessarily (or only) for what he did with the Marlins. Being a Cubs fan my whole life which includes his later tenures with the Cubs (I went to my first game in 92, but I admittedly don't remember Girardi from that early on), I've grown to appreciate guys like Joe Girardi. Even if their time with the Cubs were short lived, hard workers like Girardi, Gary Gaetti, Shawon Dunston, Eric Karros, etc. were always among my favorites during their tenures in Chicago. Guys who aren't necessarily all stars, but know the game well and always gave it their all. Girardi falling under that, and just being a likable guy, was among my favorites.

With that out of the way, let me just say I'm not a fan boy who thinks Girardi was clear-cut the better choice. I'm not going to chastise the Piniella hiring either because of my liking for Girardi, because I think they both fit the bill well, and either would have been a good choice.

What am I getting at through all of my rambling? I think in the big picture of things, Girardi, or even another option, would have been a better fit. Right now this team probably needs a hard guy like Lou Piniella. I think for the upcoming year, he may help as much as you can without leading a team to the playoffs. But for 3 years, I honestly can't see this working out. Infact, I don't think he sticks around past his first season as Cubs manager.

Piniella clearly wants a winning team. The Cubs are stuck in between rebuilding completely or patching a lot of pieces and contending. Obviously with the signing of Piniella as manager, we're going to look to patch the holes in our line-up and rotation, and contend in 07. But will we be able to make enough moves this off-season to fix what caused us to lose 96 games this past season, and contend to the point of keeping Lou happy?
        More food for thought: Joe Torre's contract is up after next year, and you have to believe if the Yankees don't win the world series, and even more so if they do, Torre is gone. Everyone knows Piniella likely covets the Yankees managerial position, and I don't doubt for ten seconds he wouldn't attempt to jump ship next year if it's up for grabs. Especially considering his relationship with A-Rod, and even Randy Johnson, assuming one if not both are still in pinstripes come the end of the '07 season.

Girardi, being a hometown boy and wanting the managerial position for awhile now, likely viewed his release from the Marlins as a blessing in disguise. And through thick or thin, I believe he would stick with this club as long as we wanted him to or as long as his contract and upper management allowed him to. I simply cannot say the same about Lou Piniella, as much as a great manager he has been over the years.

Did we make the right choice? I don't think so. But we didn't make the wrong choice either, if that's possible. This off-season is going to be a very pivotal one for the Cubs, and it could totally change my opinion on the Piniella hiring if the right moves are made. The ball is in Hendry's court more so than ever right now, and he needs to work some magic.

================================================== =====

This was my first article, so go easy on me. I basically wrote it on my opinion, although I've heard it expressed by fellow Cubs fans and fans of baseball alike that I've spoken to, so it should be interesting to hear some of your opinions on it. Feedback is always appreciated, whether it's in agreement or debate. Thanks guys.
        This article was originally published in forum thread: Lou Piniella named new Cubs manager - but is it the right move? started by nick View original post