• B/S Facebook

• Follow Us On Twitter

• Baseball/Slant - The Sixth Year

On April 1st, 2005, Strike3Forums was created. Our April Fool's Joke to the online baseball community. We've never tried to take ourselves too seriously and our birthday helps to remind us of that and we get another year with Major League baseball so we couldn't ask for a better day.

Its hard to believe that we are over half the way to a decade. When S3F started, I never thought about how long it would last, nor did I realize how much work I would put into it over the years. That is all worth it though when I see that we still have a core community that have stayed intact for years, through out site changes and life changes. Members who once were considered amongst the young brigade are now graduating from college and beginning careers. Others are getting married, having children, and making other significant moves.

We have now been Baseball/Slant for over one year now. A move that I hope has been more than just in name, one that delivers on a promise I set out which was to provide a unique forum experience to share your take on the game. I can provide the tools, help to craft the functionality, etc to do this, but the promise is only fulfilled when we as a community do what we love to do most, talk about the game we love. It never ceases to amaze me when folks come back after lengthy absences, and that is a testament to the community here.

I hope you are excited as I am for the 2011 MLB season, year six on B/S, and all the fun we are going to have talking about it all. To say thanks, anyone who posts on this thread by the end of this Sunday with what you like most about B/S will be entered into a drawing for a free year of a Baseball Prospectus premium subscription and a free year as a B/S Revolucion Partner.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Baseball/Slant - The Sixth Year started by missionhockey21 View original post
        Comments 13 Comments
          Kingdom -
          Someone has to be, Hammer.
          missionhockey21 -
          Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
          Where is my Matt Stairs B/S S3F T-shirt?
          Like this? It'll be coming soon.

(Apologies in advance to fashion photographers, but this was "shot" up in the bleachers last year where my brother, the model, and I were packed together with a bunch of other soon to be disappointed fans.)
          DirtyKash -
          I, too, would like to purchase one of those t-shirts.
          Kingdom -
          Mission, I thought we were going to use a large chested female as the model?
          DMBZeppelin -
          I still remember Dam8610 bringing me into the fold back in 2006 for sim leagues. Now I don't post often, but still try to check the forums from time to time. It's weird cause in 2006 I was at Columbia College in Chicago for music composition. Now I recently graduated from the Illinois Center for Broadcasting and have more free time while I look for a job. It was cool because I used my connections there to get media passes to the Chicago Bears training camp. Now I'd like to see if I can get into the Cubs locker room for some interviews. Just blows my mind how much I've changed as a person since first coming here.

It's surprising how many good people post on these forums. I've seen other message boards and the quality of people is usually pretty low. It's the only reason I check back from time to time.
          CincyRedsFan30 -
          I used to see mission on the AOL message board and I belive we both grew weary of some of those... colorful... posters. Also saw him on the "other" Reds board and followed him here at some point.

Mission: I know you've worked hard on this site during the last several years and every positive comment is richly deserved!

My plan is to post a lot this season, so strap in and prepare for some passionate commentary.
          Kingdom -
          That's definitely acceptable.
          Providence A's -
          Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
          Like this? It'll be coming soon.

(Apologies in advance to fashion photographers, but this was "shot" up in the bleachers last year where my brother, the model, and I were packed together with a bunch of other soon to be disappointed fans.)
          I'll take two larges in gray please.
          Tobywan -
          I just followed Mission when "themlbforum" (an alternative at the time to the troll poluted "Official" MLB forums) disbanded, I've been stalking Mission for many years.
          missionhockey21 -
          Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
          I used to see mission on the AOL message board and I belive we both grew weary of some of those... colorful... posters. Also saw him on the "other" Reds board and followed him here at some point.

Mission: I know you've worked hard on this site during the last several years and every positive comment is richly deserved!

My plan is to post a lot this season, so strap in and prepare for some passionate commentary.
          Thanks buddy, I appreciate it and all the other nice comments.

My story is very similar to yours as you explained. Years ago, when there was The MLB Forum, Eric The Red recruited me off the AOL Reds message board that the three of us once posted at. From there it was the path of moderator-super moderator-administrator and eventually creating B/S (then known as S3F.) Its kind of weird to think of how different my interests and career might have been had I never been led there because the majority of the skills I needed for the site I learned as I went out of necessity. Definitely glad it happened.
          missionhockey21 -
          After my first random number generator result landing on one of my posts, I got a result I could use.

Post #6 wins and it is Foster. Congrats! You now have a B/S Partner Membership and I'll send you a PM right now asking for your email so I can get you setup with a Baseball Prospectus subscription.
          Kingdom -
          I think we need to move this to another thread and open it up to continue the storytelling and see if we draw anyone else back.
          Porter -
          Foster gave Mission a 20 dollar bill. Its the 2nd year in the row to win.