• B/S Facebook

• Follow Us On Twitter

• *Four no hitters in 2010, are we stopping there?

Ubaldo. Dallas Braden. Roy Halladay. The Immortal Edwin Jackson. We know the names, even though many still can't believe Dallas Braden threw a perfect game, and Edwin Jackson...Edwin Jackson! threw a no hitter when he needed 149 pitches and 79 were balls. Now, one can debate that this is the year of the pitcher. But realistically, only two of those guys mentioned above are going to be all-stars, and only those same two can be counted on consistently to toss gems. You know which two. But it doesn't take anything away from what Braden or Jackson accomplished. No matter how ugly Jackson's outing was, or no matter that Braden really hasn't won since his perfect performance.

These kind of things involve a lot of luck. Or unluck. I want to dig back into Armando Galarraga's should have been perfect game for a second, it was completely unlucky of circumstances that ruined his bid. But, he also had a lot of luck, namely Austin Jackson's ridiculous full out diving catch. Look back at Jackson's no hitter. 8 walks! Ian Kennedy just walked 9 and got lit up. Jackson walked 8 and no one scored! And Mark Reynolds had a highlight reel of stops at third, by himself, to help preserve the no hitter. Point is, there's been some good pitching this year. There's also been a lot of luck. You need it to go with the talent.

So with that, it's almost July, we have half a season practically, we've damn near seen 5 no hitters and we damn near saw a double no hitter in the same game. Are we done? To predict who will be the next pitcher to toss one will be nearly impossible, we've seen a wide spectrum of pitching talent accomplish the feat this season. So let's stick with the very idea. Will there be at least another no hitter this season? Multiple? No more? Minor league accomplishments do not count.
        This article was originally published in forum thread: *Four no hitters in 2010, are we stopping there? started by Kingdom_of_Zito View original post
        Comments 27 Comments
          HollywoodLeo -
          Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
          Now, one can debate that this is the year of the pitcher. But realistically, only two of those guys mentioned above are going to be all-stars, and only those same two can be counted on consistently to toss gems.
          But it's not just that.

For starters, there's other close ones such as the Armando asterisk, not to mention Mat Latos coming within a fluke infield single of a perfect game.

Pitching is doing great across the league. There are currently 22 pitchers (who have enough IP to qualify) with an ERA of 2.99 or better. 56 with an ERA of 3.99 or better. 3 are under 2.00.

For comparison's sake, last year there were only 11 pitchers with an ERA of 2.99 or better. In 2008 there was only 7. In 2007 Jake Peavy was the only one. Johan Santana and Roy Oswalt were the only members of the 2.99 or better club in 2006.
          HollywoodLeo -
          The last time Major League baseball saw anything close to that number was 1992 when there was 21 qualifying pitchers who posted a 2.99 ERA or better. (Tom Candiotti had a 3.00 ERA)

edit: There was 22 in 1989.

edit: Last time there was more than 22 was 1972 when 45 pitchers finished at 2.99 or better.
          redsfan28 -
          Its because everyone's off the juice... well, except maybe the pitchers
          missionhockey21 -
          Some of that probably contributes, but what about the increase study of the game by pitchers? With new technology, it is much easier for pitchers to study film on hitters and the depth available to them is unprecedented. Sure some hitters may have less advantage, but isn't possible too that the pitching knowledge has improved?
          Kingdom -
          Mat Latos' must have not been that memorable, I don't remember him being close. Or anywhere close to what Galaragga did.
          HollywoodLeo -
          he's not on par with Gallaraga because it was a legit hit and it was in the middle of the game instead of the last would-be out.

still, he threw a 1-hitter with no walks and no errors, facing 28 batters. The one hit was a fluke infield single that bounced off Mat's leg.
          HollywoodLeo -
          it was the second of two staight starts where Mat pitched 17 shutout innings with no walks and only 3 hits.
          realmofotalk -
          Must have been nice to get no-hit by Bud Smith. Just another proud moment in the Padres' storied history.
          HollywoodLeo -
          Pretty random response, but yeah that sucked.
          Kingdom -
          All 7 of us are right so far, now to see if we get at least one more...
          redsfan28 -
          I think there is still another perfect game to be had this season.
          Pebbles -
          Even with just a few weeks left in the season I think there is still one no-no left. Hopefully a Kevin Slowey or another Twins starter.
          Pebbles -
          Sac Fly scores Cuddy and then infield hit by Hardy scores Thome. 5-0 Twins
          love_that_reefer -
          I can see the Giants throwing a no-no and losing.
          realmofotalk -
          Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
          I can see the Giants throwing a no-no and losing.
          The Angels have already beaten every other team to the punch.

DirtyKash -
          Holy shit.
          Foster -
          Thats worth like 2. Right?
          Kingdom -
          2.5 for owning Votto in the process.
          Foster -
          This series is gonna kill me.
          1) As a Canadian I want to see Votto hot some dingers. Canadian pride.
          2) As a Jay's fan I want to see Halladay do this every game. I harbour no ill will.
          Kingdom -
          I say pretend Doc is Canadian for all his years of service with Toronto and never really complaining about the lack of team success. And then you can cheer for Votto for rest of the series when Doc is not on the mound.

It works.