Thread: Helton insists back is fine, feels strong

MLB ERA

Rockies Helton insists back is fine, feels strong

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_3610468

Peoria, Ariz. - Todd Helton did not avoid playing the Padres on Thursday night to make a trip to San Diego.
    With Team USA first baseman Derrek Lee hurting, Helton's name surfaced as a potential replacement for the final round of the World Baseball Classic at Petco Park. One problem: Helton was not listed on the Americans' 52-man provisional roster, leaving him ineligible for the event.
    "I know I wasn't (on it). Do you have to rub it in?" Helton joked before an afternoon workout at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson. "They should take Ian Stewart with the way he's hitting."
    After working with his former college hitting instructor this winter, Helton began camp hot. He has since cooled off, batting .259, triggering the obligatory questions about his back. Helton insists he feels strong. General manager Dan O'Dowd said Helton is "in the best shape of his career. There are no problems."
    Helton's availability became irrelevant when Mexico eliminated Team USA on Thursday 2-1, as Rockies reliever David Cortes recorded the save.
    Sounds good. Helton is one of the best hitters in the league.

I am curious as to why he wasn't on the WBC 52 man roster for the USA though
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Because he didn't ****ing feel like it?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Back problem? Dude should get a massage or something like that.

AA ERA
    Yea... I'd like to see him healthy... yea...
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Heh, he's in a hitter's paradise and the Rockies never win. Talk about bittersweet.

But supposedly he studied his swing and at-bats on his video iPod (no, really, he did) and he saw a flaw in his swing last year where he was opening up too early.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    If Helton keeps it up, you will see the first Rockie in the HOF.

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Rockies

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Back problem? Dude should get a massage or something like that.
    Well, now that you mentioned it...
    Helton provides a strong showing
    Long homer, doubles by first baseman are good signs for Rockies

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...567025,00.html

By Tracy Ringolsby, Rocky Mountain News
    March 24, 2006

TUCSON - For nearly four years, Colorado Rockies first baseman Todd Helton has dealt with an ongoing back problem caused by a cyst. He has avoided surgery because of its invasive nature, given the cyst's location on the spinal cord, instead looking for a treatment plan to help ease the pain. Helton had no complaints Thursday.

He found relief in his first power day of spring training during the Rockies' 8-4 victory against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Tucson Electric Park.
    He hit a tape- measure, opposite-field home run, his first home run of spring training, and two doubles, including a towering one that hit 30 feet up on the batter's eye in center field, 405 feet away.

More important, Helton has found relief from the occasional back problem because of the work of massage therapist Yoshii Hiro Nishi.
    "It has flared up a little, but I have been able to get it under control," Helton said. "The big thing for me is Yoshii. He's unbelievable. He knows what he is doing."

Trainer Keith Dugger, who has known Nishi "for years," said he initially brought in Nishi for spring training but since has received clearance to have Nishi accompany the Rockies when they are on the West Coast in addition to making several other trips.

A former trainer in the Japanese major leagues, Nishi lives in Los Angeles.
    "He's definitely going to be involved with us," Dugger said.

Helton, definitely a big part of the Rockies offense, is looking to rebound from a season in which he aggravated the back injury last spring training, then dealt with the lingering effects for several months, a big reason for his career lows in home runs (20) and RBI (79).

Manager Clint Hurdle said Helton's lack of home runs this spring training is a nonissue.

"It doesn't matter," Hurdle said. "He had five home runs last spring and you saw how that came out. The man has power. He had power and he will have power as long as he plays."

Helton's first-inning home run off Claudio Vargas was a 3-0 pitch, and Helton drove it over the bullpen, the berm and concrete walkway behind the left-field fence, an easy 450 feet.

He sliced a double down the left- field line, driving in a run and scoring another in the third inning, then keyed a three-run fifth with the huge double off the center-field edifice.

"You want to get going in the later part of the spring," Helton said. "It still means nothing, but you want to get the feel for what it takes going into the season.

"It is why at the end of spring training you start playing every day, not only to get that feel but to see how your body responds. There aren't too many days off in the regular season."

There could be a few more this season for Helton than in the past. Hurdle has talked about making sure Helton is rested regularly, although Helton remains unconvinced that's a good idea.

"I will play when he tells me, but I hope I go out and play well enough that he doesn't think about resting me," Helton said.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Heh. Now, if only Shanny would agree with me to take Marcus Vick with his 1st round pick..

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Heh. Now, if only Shanny would agree with me to take Marcus Vick with his 1st round pick..
    Now that you mention it:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...9&videoID=1158

But uh, no thanks.