Rockies walk off with win in 11 innings
Hawpe drives in game-winner; revamped bullpen shines
By Thomas Harding / MLB.com

Matt Holliday slides in safely with the game-winning run in the 11th inning. (Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)

DENVER -- Rockies veteran reliever Mike DeJean celebrated his Opening Day victory with his two boys. One was well-behaved as he sat in front of his dad's locker, enjoying a postgame treat. The other stayed in his dad's arms, truly enjoying the cameras and interviewers.

This is what the Rockies had in mind when formulating their bullpen for 2006. They weren't exactly looking at his care of children and toddlers, but he certainly demonstrated on the mound Monday that he can calmly operate with his hands full. DeJean walked the leadoff man in the 11th inning and was faced with runners on first and third with two outs before getting Arizona's Chris Snyder to hit a weak ground ball to end the threat.
Colorado's Brad Hawpe, who had two hits earlier, knocked a much more productive weak ground ball in the bottom of the inning -- the fielder's choice RBI gave the Rockies a 3-2 victory over the Diamondbacks at Coors Field in front of a sellout crowd of 47,278.

DeJean, 35, who finished last season with Colorado, followed the work of new acquisitions Ray King and Jose Mesa, as well as holdover closer Brian Fuentes. The relievers combined to hold the Diamondbacks to one unearned run and three hits in the final four innings.
"It was obviously what we were looking for out of the bullpen," DeJean said. "I don't know if anybody's talked about it, but it was kind of what we were expecting to do."

DeJean, of course, is fully aware that the bullpen has been a hot subject of conversation, not only as this team was being formulated, but through the history of a franchise that began its 14th season in rousing fashion.
Manager Clint Hurdle has said this experienced bullpen is a "night-and-day" difference from last season, when the Rockies used mainly rookie relievers the first month. They played themselves into a hole that led to a 67-95 final record -- tied with the 1993 expansion squad for worst in franchise history.

Well, the Rockies won their opener last year as well, but there was a night-and-day difference in the games. Last year's opener was a wild, 12-10 affair against San Diego. The Rockies overcame bullpen disappointments in the opener, but then descended into an eight-game losing streak because the 'pen proved to be undependable.
Monday was a perfect example of why the Rockies believe they'll do much better in close games this time around.
The new bullpen got off to a shaky start, but that was more because of a throw by star first baseman Todd Helton than anything King did while giving up two hits in two-thirds of an inning.

Craig Counsell singled to lead off the eighth inning, and Helton threw wildly to first after fielding Orlando Hudson's bunt to put runners at second and third. Chad Tracy's fielder's choice grounder pushed in a run for a 2-1 lead, but that was it for the Diamondbacks. Helton tied the game with an RBI double in the bottom of the inning.

Mesa, who bailed King out of the eighth, fielded Eric Byrnes' bunt with two on and no out in the ninth, and he threw to third to retire lead runner Shawn Green. With two out in the inning, Fuentes struck out Counsell, and the closer returned to fan two of the three batters he faced in the 10th.
DeJean was cool enough to shake off a leadoff walk to Conor Jackson and a two-out infield single by Byrnes in the 11th.
"These guys come with some pretty good numbers on the back of the bubble gum card," Hurdle said. "They've done some things and pitched some big ball games."

The Rockies wouldn't mind having to sweat out more games like the one on Monday.

Hurdle noted before the game that the days of Coors Field playing like a sandbox, despite its expansive outfield, are done, thanks in large part to storing baseballs in a temperature-controlled chamber known as a humidor.
"I've been around since '97," Hurdle said. "I was here for some of those days when it just didn't seem right. Now it seems closer to right."
Colorado starter Jason Jennings was right on the money on Monday. He needed to be against the equally effective Brandon Webb. Each dominated for seven innings and gave up one run. Jennings gave up six hits and struck out six, and Webb gave up five hits and forced 17 ground balls. Jennings had to overcome a 12-hour illness to do it.

"But I got some sleep, got some fluids in me, and was able to wake up this morning and feel OK," Jennings said.

Helton was happy he was able to sleep after the game.
"I was upset with myself," Helton said of his error in the eighth. "But when you let your team down, you want to help."

It was the type of game for the Rockies, still dominated by young players, to stride toward respectability.

"It was probably more of an emotional win," DeJean said. "When you talk to some of these young guys and you see where their heads are, they're looking the right way, they're talking the right way and they battle until the bitter end. To be back at home pitching and get a win on Opening Day with family and friends here, it's special."

Thomas Harding is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.