Thread: Byung-Hyun Kim to the Rockies

Rookie ERA

Rockies Byung-Hyun Kim to the Rockies

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=627812

FORT MYERS, Fla. Mar 30, 2005 — The Boston Red Sox traded reliever Byung-Hyun Kim to the Colorado Rockies, calling the $10 million, two-year deal they gave him in 2004 "a mistake."

Kim was sent Wednesday to the Rockies for left-handed pitcher Chris Narveson, 23, who was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket, and catcher Charles Johnson, who was immediately designated for assignment and released.

As part of the trade, Colorado sent Boston about $2.6 million to equalize the salaries. Johnson is owed $9 million and Kim $6 million, part of a $10 million, two-year deal he signed before the 2004 season.

Streaking Nuggets Blow by Spurs 102-84
    SuperSonics Fend Off Trail Blazers 89-87
    AP honors: Utah's Bogut

"We certainly made a mistake and I take responsibility for that," Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said. "It's just a mystery what happened to this guy."

Kim, a 26-year-old sidearmer, was a major factor in Boston reaching the 2003 playoffs, but Epstein said Wednesday he should have let Kim get a one-year contract through arbitration rather than sign him to a two-year deal.

"I'm not so sure (success) would have happened to him in Boston," he said. "He was crying for a change of scenery."

Epstein said Kim, when informed of the trade, apologized for not doing better.

Kim will likely have a chance to take over as a closer in Colorado's hurting bullpen. The favorite to close this season, Chin-hui Tsao, has rotator cuff tendinitis and has not impressed manager Clint Hurdle this spring training. Left-hander Brian Fuentes, who was also in the mix, also has struggled.

Last year's closer, Shawn Chacon, moved back to the starting rotation this season after blowing nine saves and anchoring a bullpen that set a major-league record with 39 losses.

Hurdle knows what he's getting with Kim, whose fastball, once clocked in the 93-95 mph range, never got over 86 mph this spring.

"He is what he is right now. You're never going to get a B.K. Kim when he's good," Hurdle said. "He's pitched big games. He's pitched big outs. He's on the downside now. His arm strength is increasing somewhat from the reports I've gotten. So that'd be the guy you'd want."

AA ERA
    It will be interesting how B.K. does at Coors. It's bad enough that he lack mental toughness as he was blowing saves for the D-Backs in the WS and then for the Red Sox. Obviously, the Rockies need a closer badly as you saw Jose Jimenez and Shawn Chacon flop the last two years. If Kim can get his act together and have some mental toughness, maybe it might work.

I would have went with Tsao as the closer. At least, this guy will throw strikes.

AA ERA
    I like Tsao being in the starters rotation because I think he could be a good one. Might as well give a try to this guy.

Rookie ERA
    It cant hurt, especially if your the Rockies. I mean, the Mets should have traded for Kim to put as a RP. (He was a RP when he was with the D-backs). Good trade by Rockies to dump Johnson's salary and they didnt give up too good of a SP spec to get him.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Kim's had such an up and down career already and he's only 26. If the guy can get back his velocity and locate his fastball like he did in 2001 (before the WS of course...heh) he could make a successful comeback...wait, he's on Colorado. Too late.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Street
    It cant hurt, especially if your the Rockies. I mean, the Mets should have traded for Kim to put as a RP. (He was a RP when he was with the D-backs). Good trade by Rockies to dump Johnson's salary and they didnt give up too good of a SP spec to get him.
    Mets fans would kill Kim the way they killed Armando Benitez for blowing saves. With that said, Mets desperately need a reliable pen to help Braden Looper out. I am hoping Koo and Dejean can help. Kim would have helped them, but I am not sure if he would have been great either.

I read about the Mets bullpen in the Star-Ledger couple of days ago. Omar and Willie are having a hard time coming up with guys in the pen. Outside of Mr. Koo, Dejean, and Looper, the rest don't impress at all. At this point, you have to hope the starters go deep and then have Mr. Koo, Dejean, and Looper finish it out.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by awefullspellare
    I like Tsao being in the starters rotation because I think he could be a good one. Might as well give a try to this guy.
    How about Javier Lopez as the closer? This guy looked good in ST.

AA ERA
    He might get a shot later on if Kim doesn't work.

The rockies will try alot of things this year so it will be kinda fun to watch.

FWIW, he got whalloped by the Rangers in his debut, not the best start.