Thread: Barmes healed, targets Sept. 1 return

AA ERA

Barmes healed, targets Sept. 1 return

Barmes healed, targets Sept. 1 return
    By Troy E. Renck

Denver Post Staff Writer

Vindication arrived Tuesday afternoon. Ten weeks after electing to have surgery to repair his shattered left clavicle, Clint Barmes smiled, a blend of satisfaction and anticipation.

The fracture healed, the Rockies' shortstop will begin his rehab assignment Monday in Double-A Tulsa, targeted for a Sept. 1 return, a week ahead of schedule.

"I didn't have to have the (titanium rod) put in there," Barmes said of the surgery that involved inserting a plate with seven screws to hold his collarbone together. "When they said I could return sooner, I didn't hesitate. I told them to do it."

While he remained upbeat around the ballpark, Barmes' absence ate at his gut. He was mad he got hurt - he fell walking up the stairs at his LoDo apartment on June 5 while carrying deer meat. The favorite for NL rookie of the year until his injury, Barmes could only watch for the past few months.

"The first six weeks were the hardest because I couldn't run. I rode the bike and walked on the incline," said Barmes, who will hit leadoff when he returns. "But not being out on the field was the worst part."

Barmes, hitting .329 with eight home runs and 34 RBIs in 54 games, attacked his recovery like he did opposing pitchers. He knew he would play again this season after recently fielding with no problems. He cleared another hurdle Tuesday, hitting the ball off a tee.

"The ball was just exploding," said trainer Keith Dugger, who anticipates Barmes remaining in Tulsa for the duration of his rehab.

For Barmes, the final test will be diving for a groundball. To simulate that, he will lead off first base this week and dive back.

"I am not worried about it because I know the bone is healed," Barmes said. "It's not like I am expecting to hit .800 (at Tulsa). I need to get my timing back."

If he's really ready then I'm glad he's coming back, but I hope they aren't rushing this. There is obviously no reason to.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Think he can still make a run for ROY? What a waste case of a season for such a great rook....
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by riverdunesrat
    Think he can still make a run for ROY? What a waste case of a season for such a great rook....

The braves' right fielder is walking away with that award
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito
    The braves' right fielder is walking away with that award
    Yeah, agreed. However, I have heard talk of whether or not he has enough time to qualify.
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Franceour has been awesome this season no doubt. But we cannot forget about how amazing Barmes was at the beginning of the year. This dude lead the league in BA. I think Barmes is the better choice. But I wonder if anyone else is even close to getting ROY with neither of these guys having a full season.

MLB ERA
    Good points but I just assumed that Barmes would be out of the running. Who else besides these two guys could be contenders? I know there are a few rooks out there, I just don't recall who they are right now........

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Willy Taveras should be a top contender. Duke has the same time as Francoeur.

MLB ERA
    When I saw your name, I thought of Repko. What are his numbers like?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    .228-6-23

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    In other words, nevermind.

Besides, Barmes is at Coors and Francoeur is at Turner Field. That's comparing a tee ball field to an ocean.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

AA ERA
    Yea I think it's too late for him. If no one else had emerged maybe, but with Francoeur and Duke it's not gonna be enough.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle