Thread: Series Thread - Rockies at Diamondbacks

AA ERA

Series Thread - Rockies at Diamondbacks

Rockies rally to defeat D-Backs
    Holliday's eighth-inning blast charges comeback

By Jason Grey / Special to MLB.com

PHOENIX -- A streak was broken on Friday night at Bank One Ballpark as the Rockies won the opener of this three-game series, 6-4, in front of 22,596.
    The Rockies had not won a single game on the road this season when trailing after seven innings, going 0-for-33, but Matt Holliday's two-run homer in the eighth and poor Diamondbacks defense in the ninth enabled them to end that futility.

Aaron Cook's second start of the 2005 season was much better than his first, as he worked six innings, giving up four hits. He walked two and struck out three and left the game with the lead.

He gave up seven runs in 4 1/3 innings last Saturday in his comeback from two surgeries related to a pulmonary embolism condition, blood clots that had formed in his pitching shoulder and moved into his lungs.

Diamondbacks starter Brandon Webb allowed just one earned run in seven innings and struck out a season-high 10, but the starters were gone when this one was decided.

With the score 4-4 in the top of the ninth, Garrett Atkins hit a leadoff double. Pinch-hitter Eddy Garabito sacrificed him to third, but reliever Lance Cormier (7-2) threw the ball away trying to get Atkins, allowing the go-ahead run to score. A wild pitch moved Garabito to third, and he scored on a Cory Sullivan sacrifice fly to provide the final margin.

Mike DeJean (5-2) got the victory and Brian Fuentes worked the ninth for his 19th save.

The bullpen sucked as usaul until DeJean and Fuentes. Cook was great. Good to see him back healthy and pitching well. Nice job coming back finally too.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

AA ERA
    Rockies 14, Diamondbacks 7
    Aug. 7, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

PHOENIX -- Down four runs after three innings, the Colorado Rockies were on track for another miserable night on the road. Dustan Mohr reversed that with one swing of the bat.

Mohr hit a two-run homer to highlight a five-run fourth inning, Ryan Shealy drove in four runs and the Rockies rallied to beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 14-7 Saturday night.

Every Rockies starter except pitcher Jeff Francis had at least one of the team's 16 hits, and five players posted multihit games.

"We know everybody's taking us lightly," said Garrett Atkins, who was 2-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI. "When the starting pitchers go through our lineup they don't know half of the guys in it."

Colorado won for the second time in 19 road games against a left-handed starter and has won four of five games against NL West opponents after beginning the season 0-12 on the road against the division.

"We're knocking down a lot of these ugly milestones one at a time," Rockies manager Clint Hurdle said. "We have a bunch of them out there. You don't lose 68 games by accident."

Conor Jackson hit his first two career home runs for the Diamondbacks, who have lost four of five to fall three games behind San Diego in the NL West.

Francis (11-7) struggled but earned the win for the Rockies, who have won four of five on their current six-game road trip.

Francis allowed six runs and eight hits with two walks and a strikeout in five innings.

"I really couldn't figure it out," said Francis, the NL leader in rookie wins. "I kept trying to slow myself down but as much as I did the ball kept finding the middle of the plate."

Well this is good. We won a series! Wooo! Francis has had a great year. 11 wins . Not the greatest ERA but good stuff.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle