Thread: Cook steps to the mound

AA ERA

Cook steps to the mound

Cook steps to the mound
    By Irv Moss

Denver Post Staff Writer

Colorado Springs - Aside from pitching again in the big leagues without one of his ribs, the biggest challenge facing the Rockies' Aaron Cook on Saturday night will be keeping things in perspective.

How he does isn't nearly as important as simply getting another chance a year after leaving a game against Cincinnati because of difficulty breathing. Little did Cook know last Aug. 7 how close he came to dying from blood clots in his lungs, or how difficult the journey back to Coors Field would be.

"All it took was a small portion of the clot to break off and go into his heart and that would have been it, or possibly a stroke," said Tom Probst, the Rockies' head trainer last year and now the team's director of medical operations.

Probst knew Cook was having difficulties when he took the mound against Cincinnati, but never suspected what would transpire.

"When he came in from warming up in the bullpen, he was a little light-headed, which isn't uncommon here in Denver," Probst said. "He had shortness of breath after the first inning. As he started the third inning, he stepped off the mound and didn't look right. He was having difficulty, and we pulled him off the field.

"Initially it wasn't a huge concern. As a precautionary measure we decided to send him to Rose Medical. It was a shock; I remember getting the call from Rose Hospital and almost dropping the phone."

Probst learned that the first rib on Cook's right side and the collarbone were pressing down on a vein, resulting in blood clots being formed in his right shoulder that had moved to his lungs and threatened his life.

"The doctors told me I should have died on the mound that day," Cook said. "They said a person in that situation and doing what I was doing, they didn't know how I made it to the hospital in time."

He's a great story and it's gonna be awesome to have him back. He has worked really hard to get here and hopefully that pays off on the field.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I was at the game he left early last year. I remember the game. He pitched good, then some problem happened and coaches and the team doctor came out and before he could throw another pitch he got pulled. He looked like he was going to be a good pitcher. Just think a blood clot! Lucky they got him to the hospital in time. The guy could have died on the field. Glad to see is all better now.

Glad to see health problems fixed. Hope he will be a sp for a long time to come.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    With Cook and Francis, thsi team may have the makeup of a good young rotation. Jennings is a question mark and Kennedy is aweful. Both Cook and Francis are a good start.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Kennedy's an Athletic now.

AA ERA
    Tsao if he ever gets there too. I'm probably forgetting others that deserve a mention.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle