[size=3]No dice for late gambles[/size[
Pinch-hitter parade by Hurdle falters as Phillies beat Rockies

By Jack Etkin, Rocky Mountain News
July 29, 2005

In rapid succession, Colorado Rockies manager Clint Hurdle went to the bench in the eighth inning Thursday, knowing closer Billy Wagner was lurking in the ninth for the Philadelphia Phillies.

An opportunity, as Hurdle put it, at "coming back and doing something special, winning that ballgame" dissolved into a frustrating eighth followed by a futile ninth as the Phillies beat the Rockies 8-5.

The Rockies managed to score single runs in five innings and went into the eighth inning trailing 5-4. With one out, Garrett Atkins singled and took third base on a single by Eric Byrnes off Ugueth Urbina. At that point, Hurdle looked down the bench, considered his options and names began getting crossed out and replaced by new ones on the lineup card.

"It's tough duty facing Wagner in the ninth," Hurdle said of the left-hander who is 22 for 24 in save situations this season and has 268 career saves. "And that's why I unloaded the bench when I did. Roll the dice and try to get it done there."

Jorge Piedra, the first of three consecutive pinch hitters, delivered a game-tying single. Piedra is 6-for-14 with three RBI as a pinch hitter and his hit off Urbina moved Byrnes to third base.

Pinch hitter JD Closser struck out - he has gone 1-for-5 in that role - and Desi Relaford came off the bench and popped out, leaving him hitless in six pinch-hit at-bats.

After Randy Williams and David Cortes combined to work 1 1/3 scoreless innings in relief of Byung- Hyung Kim, Mike DeJean took the mound in the ninth inning.

He gave up a leadoff double to David Bell followed by a sacrifice and a line drive by Endy Chavez that first baseman Luis Gonzalez caught. DeJean fell behind Jimmy Rollins and intentionally walked him, then pinch hitter Tomas Perez grounded to the left of second baseman Aaron Miles.

He made a sprawling catch on the outfield grass, scrambled to his feet but pulled Gonzalez off first base. When Perez made contact, DeJean realized, "I knew it was on the ground. I knew there was going to be a play."

It went against the Rockies and Chase Utley, who had a career-most five RBI, followed with a line drive to right field that Dustan Mohr went back on, leaped for and . . . had go off his glove for a two-run double.

On came Wagner and three batters later, the Phillies were exchanging congratulatory handshakes and the Rockies were 2-2 on the homestand.

What's new? Our bullpen blew another game! Although this time we weren't winning.