Threesome is entering key stretch
By Patrick Saunders

Denver Post Staff Writer

The Rockies are all about the future, but the future is now for a trio of players: right-handed pitcher Zach Day, catcher Danny Ardoin and outfielder Eric Byrnes.

Day must prove he has the right stuff to be a starter in Denver. Ardoin must impress with his bat as well as his well-aimed cannon of an arm. Byrnes needs to prove he can fill in the Rockies' puzzle in center field.

Before Day gets a chance to join the Rockies' rotation, he must impress at the minor-league level. Monday, after a successful stint throwing on the side and testing his sore right shoulder, Day was sent down to Triple-A Colorado Springs. He is scheduled to start Saturday for the Sky Sox and is expected to throw 60 to 75 pitches. He will get another start or two before Rockies manager Clint Hurdle considers adding him to the major-league rotation.

Bottom line: The Rockies want Day to start throwing consistently and determine what he has got.

"Rather than try to work him back into the bullpen picture here - which I didn't think was in his best interest or ours - we need to get him up and moving and pitching," Hurdle said.

The sinkerball pitcher, acquired from the Washington Nationals on July 13 in the Preston Wilson trade, got off to a rough start with the Rockies. Day appeared in two forgettable games as a reliever. In his most recent outing, against the Nationals last week, he faced four batters in the eighth inning and failed to retire any, drawing jeers from the Washington fans. He is 0-0 with an 18.00 ERA, allowing four hits and three runs (two earned) in one inning of work.

Byrnes, acquired this month in a trade with the Oakland A's, made his first start in center for the Rockies in Sunday's loss in Pittsburgh. He would like to find a home with Colorado, but is aware he is the subject of trade rumors.

"I look at this Colorado team like Oakland was a few years ago," Byrnes said. "I do like the prospects of this team, and I'm excited to be here. All I can do is play hard right now, and if they ship me off again, there's nothing I can do about it. But I want to be here."
Hurdle said the team is examining Byrnes' place in future plans.

"We are looking to see if he has value for us going forward," Hurdle said. "Nothing is a short-term fix now. We need to answer some questions. At the price tag that he is going to fall into next year, can he play center field here? That's the question. I think we'll have the answer here shortly."

Byrnes has a $2.2 million salary, and the Rockies might not be willing to pay that much for the 29- year-old outfielder.

Ardoin could be a big part of the Rockies' plans - if he can wield a big stick in the big leagues. The catcher is 6-for-39 in his past 16 games, leaving his average at .224.

"He's going to have to hit more to be an everyday catcher," Hurdle said. "His defensive skills are solid. I don't think there will be any argument there from anybody. He receives the ball well, he calls a good game and he's got a plus arm. Now he is in a situation where he must find out who he is and what he is at this level. Hopefully he can find a comfort zone the last two months and show us some offensive capability."

I don't expect much out of Byrnes. Some good offense hopefully would be nice. Nothing long term though. Day will probably be your typical Rockie pitcher. Have some good starts, some horrible ones, and just confuse the heck out of you. Never heard of this catcher dude.

Also, it seems Barmes wants to come back later this year (i.e. September). I'm cool with that as long as he isn't rushing back. Take your time, it's not lik e we need you to compete for the division .