Thread: Rockies sign a dinosaur

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rockies Rockies sign a dinosaur

The Rockies are waiting to see if 49-year-old left-hander Jamie Moyer will accept a minor league contract offer, Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports. The Rockies would give Moyer the chance to compete for a rotation spot while tutoring younger pitchers on the staff.

Moyer pitched for the Phillies in 2010 and missed last season while recovering from Tommy John surgery. He worked out in front of scouts this offseason and appears to have impressed the Rockies. Renck reported earlier today that the Rockies offered a veteran pitcher a contract.

Moyer owns a 267-204 career record with a 4.24 ERA in 24 MLB seasons. He posted a 4.84 ERA with 5.1 K/9, 1.6 BB/9 and a 44.1% ground ball rate for the 2010 Phillies. 14 of the players on Colorado's 40-man roster were not born when Moyer debuted with the Cubs in June of 1986.
    I would be blown away of Moyer actually pitched an out in the big leagues this year but how can you not root for the guy? Here's to seeing a 50 year old pitch

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Rockies sign a dinosaur

33 away from 300, it's still amazing to say. Longevity for the win.

So who recently retired to replace him on BBTN?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If Moyer is making starts at 50, with an honestly earned 5th spot, that would bring me a ton of joy. It really is hard to root against him.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Jamie Moyer tossing his salad in Coors Field? That's going to lead to a lot of home runs.