Thread: Tulo for 10!!!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rockies Tulo for 10!!!!

Rockies, Tulowitzki Nearing Ten-Year Extension: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

The Rockies are nearing a ten-year extension with shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, according to ESPN.com's Keith Law. ESPN.com's Buster Olney confirms (on Twitter) that the sides are closing in on a mega-deal that could be as long as ten years. Tulowitzki is midway through the six-year, $31MM extension he signed before the 2008 season. The new deal may overwrite the minimum three years and $25.75MM that the Rockies still owe. Tulowitzki's representatives at TWC sports have presumably secured their client a nine-figure deal.
    Holy Coors Light shit!! That's a lot of years and you would think the Rockies learned their lesson after giving Helton a nine year deal that hasn't worked out so well in the last half of the deal. Helton plays first which is a lot less physically demanding. Tulo would be 36 at the end of the deal so he won't be ancient by any means but old for a SS. This is definitely a risk for the Rockies no matter how good Tulo is now.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Tulo for 10!!!!

Well, no ten-year mega deal makes sense economically, but you would much rather make that commitment to a great hitter who plays a premium position than one who plays, say, first base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tracy Ringolsby reports that Troy Tulowitzki will receive $157.75 million over the next 10 seasons.
    As mentioned earlier, the Rockies will pay the remaining $23.75 million left on Tulowitzki's current contract, as well as pick up his $15 million option for 2014. The new contract will give him $119 million over six additional seasons, taking him through 2020 and his age-35 season. It's a hefty commitment, but the Rockies obviously view Tulo as their franchise player.
    Not as bad as I originally thought as it seems to come out as $15 million a year. Still makes no sense for the Rockies to do this with three years left on his current deal and the fact that he has had trouble staying healthy.

Mofo, first baseman can play there at a high level at 35. Can't say that about SS's but I somewhat get your point.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Mofo, first baseman can play there at a high level at 35. Can't say that about SS's but I somewhat get your point.
    But that is because there are many more first basemen who play at a high level than shortstops to begin with.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

That and it a hell of a lot less physically demanding.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

To ensure they have Tulo at age 30, 31, 32, etc... all which still should be great performance years with his bat, the Rockies are willing to gamble and hope that his later years beyond that are somewhat productive and that he could maybe take away from the 1B Helton-anchor (or another position.) Any deal this long is a huge risk, but Tulowitzki is a true franchise cornerstone. Performance, personality, etc... he has it all and the Rockies should come close to getting a title with the right guys surrounding him.

The deal is crazy, but he is so good right now that for the 7 or so years that I think most would be confident in his performance staying steady, barring injury, that the other 3 years do not even matter as securing him for more years than less should be key.

MLB ERA

I think he signed 7 years for like 138 mil.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yes, but isn't that on top of his remaining 3 years?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes it is. Dan O'Dowd is an early candidate for boner of the year