Thread: Hawpe Placed On Waivers

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rockies Hawpe Placed On Waivers

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Rockies have placed outfielder Brad Hawpe on waivers.
    Hawpe's a nice hitter and on the younger side of 31, so it's possible that a team will claim him and make a serious offer, but we've seen this month how difficult waiver deals can be. More than likely he'll just sit tight and ride out what has been a disappointing year for a seemingly stacked Rockies team. Look for a slight roster shakeup this offseason.
    Hawpe has had just a helluva rough year and has just 7 HRs and 37 RBI in 258 ABs this season. He is sporting a .341 OBP so all is not lost with Hawpe. I can see a team picking him because he does have playoff experience and the power is there somewhere.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Hawpe Placed On Waivers

I'll be shocked if he's dealt. Would be a tremendous pick up if it happened, though.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ol' Sewer Pipes kills the Dodgers. I wouldn't be sorry if he quit baseball today.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rosenthal says that Hawpe has cleared waivers so he can now go to any team.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that outfielder Brad Hawpe will be released by the Rockies after Wednesday night's game.
    Hawpe will become a free agent and will be allowed to sign with any interested major league team. He's posted a highly disappointing .642 OPS since the All-Star break, but he still has some power and could be useful down the stretch for a contending club. The Rangers and Red Sox make sense as landing spots, but a host of teams will be in on the negotiations.
    *******!! I wish Sabean wouldn't have pulled the trigger on Guillen more and more. Hawpe would have been a much better fit. He's lefthanded and plays much better defense than Guillen. Plus he knows the division and still has some life in that bat. Oh Sabean, why must you make such silly moves? That said I expect the Rays to get on this.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If Hawpe is looking to re-discover his power stroke again, the Rangers make a lot of sense for obvious reasons.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

This is a bummer for Hawpe. He had an awesome year last year, making his first all-star team, and the Rockies have a loaded outfield with CarGo, Fowler, Smith, and Spilly. Hopefully someone picks him up and he can get his swing back.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

If you trust defensive stats Hawpe's UZR 150: -19.4 (meaning he costs his team 19.4 runs every 150 games due to defense) should make you as uninterested in him as you were in Guillen.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Here we are a week later and Hawpe still hasn't cleared waivers yet according to the Denver Post. I am still confused on what exactly has been going on but it seems clear that Hawpe will go to the AL and most likely the Rangers.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hawpe was signed by the Rays today on a MLC. I think this is a good move for the Rays as he will be their new DH. He will start in Single-A