Thread: Atkins' Future

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rockies Atkins' Future

According to the Denver Post, the Rockies are exploring trade opportunities for 3B Garrett Atkins and may release him if they don't find a deal.

Atkins posted an ugly .226/.308/.342 batting line this season with nine homers and 48 RBI, eventually losing his job to Ian Stewart. He's expected to land close to $7 million via arbitration and the Rox can't justify paying that kind of salary to a backup infielder. The Rangers, Phillies, Orioles and Angels are though to have some interest in the 29-year-old.
    I see him being non-tendered with the O's picking him up. They like getting shitty players and he is right up their alley. Plus they will get him for practically nothing so no big loss. Who knows? He could turn things around.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Atkins' Future

"He's expected to land close to $7 million via arbitration"

This has to be a misprint.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I would have to think so

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I don't know, he was a pretty solid player until this season. He just fell off in a big way this season. I am not sure what happened, but I expect someone to take a flyer on him.

Speaking of the O's though. I don't think they are worried about building their offense. They have some of the very best young sticks out there. They need to concentrate on pitching.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He should look to go to the AL and DH, he's ineffective defensively but also he might not be able to hit outside of Coors.

He became a FA today: Colorado Rockies don't offer Garrett Atkins contract after 7 years - ESPN
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Well the O's did concentrate on pitching and sticks. They got Atkins afterall. Now the Rocks can rest with a spot wide open for Ian Stewart.

Good prediction LTR!

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I see him being non-tendered with the O's picking him up. They like getting shitty players and he is right up their alley. Plus they will get him for practically nothing so no big loss. Who knows? He could turn things around.
    Good call on your prediction. Do you have the powerball #s?

I always liked Atkins, and am bummed to see him go. I wish him nothing but the best of luck. I will also miss him occasionally spelling Todd Helton at 1st though. Hopefully Stewart is ready to take over at 3B full time with no slump.