Thread: Rockies close to signing Jumbo Giambi

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Rockies Rockies close to signing Jumbo Giambi

SFGate: Oakland Athletics : The Drumbeat : Braden update, lineup and Giambi close to signing -updated

**UPDATED at 6 p.m. PDT**It sounds as if Jason Giambi to Colorado is indeed very close. The great Hall of Fame baseball writer Tracy Ringsolby tells me that the expectation is that Giambi will go to Colorado's Triple-A Colorado Springs team to get some at-bats - reuniting Giambi with former A's coach Rene Lachemann, who might have even more personality than Giambi. That should be fun! Giambi would have to be on the big-league club by Aug. 31 to be eligible for the postseason roster (although players can still be substituted onto the roster in the event of injuries).
    meh, good luck with that.

Inside the Colorado Rockies » Giambi Headed to Springs | Major League Baseball in Denver

according to Ringsolby, he won't get called up until September 1st, which means he would only be able to be on the playoff roster if there were an injury.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Rockies close to signing Jumbo Giambi

Not sure why they signed this guy. Already have Helton at 1B, and Atkins is a good backup there. Giambi can't play outfield (not that the Rox need help there anyway with Gonzalez, Fowler, Hawpe, Smith, and Spillborghs).

This doesn't really make sense to me.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I don't get it either. Giambi is position limited as you pointed out but I suppose they are hoping some extra pop off the bench (if he has any left)... I guess.

Perhaps the move back to Oakland, after what he accomplished there (clean or not) put too much pressure on him. Obviously his skills have declined but maybe he could still put in some effective PH's and with his eye at the plate, take some pitches and get on base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They're hoping he's their answer to the Phillies' Matt Stairs.

Man, I never thought I would be saying that about the former AL MVP aka The Ultimate Billy Beane Player.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

That's like getting store brand cola when Coca-Cola (or Pepsi, if you're into that sort of thing) is sitting on the shelf next to it. Getting the imitation might do the job, but it won't deliver the same satisfaction.

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Yeah, this isn't very exciting. I'd rather they would've just left the team as it is offensively. Who knows, maybe I'll be wrong but I just don't like tinkering when something isn't broken.

MLB ERA

First hit last night against the Mets, a liner up the middle
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Rockiesfan_H View Post
    Yeah, this isn't very exciting. I'd rather they would've just left the team as it is offensively. Who knows, maybe I'll be wrong but I just don't like tinkering when something isn't broken.
    I was wrong. 3 at bats, 4 RBIs, two wins due to his hits (including tonight). He has already paid off.