Thread: Hawpe-ing Off

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rockies Hawpe-ing Off

The team, which has the second-worst record in the NL, appears headed for a selloff. Third baseman Garrett Atkins is drawing little interest. First baseman Todd Helton has a full no-trade clause, and the Rockies know they would need to pay at least half of the more than $40 million he is owed in 2010 and '11 to even stand a chance of moving him.

Right fielder Brad Hawpe likely would bring the highest return, and the Rockies are deep enough in outfielders to consider such a move. Dexter Fowler, Ryan Spilborghs, Seth Smith and Matt Murton are on the current roster, and Carlos Gonzalez is at Class AAA.

Hawpe, signed for $5.5 million this season and $7.5 million next season with a $10 million club option for 2011, would be perfect for a team such as the Rays. He can void his option if he is traded and become a free agent after next season.
    Hawpe has been bothered by neck and hamstring injuries this season but is hitting .336/.412/.603 anyway. He is definitely they best trade chip and this season has hit for power away from Coors, 2 at home and 4 away. Ken suggests the Rays and that makes a lot of sense but other teams could really use him as well. I can see Hawpe leaving but really hope Hurdle isn't fired. What did the Rockies expect was going to happen when they traded their best player away?

Rookie ERA

Re: Hawpe-ing Off

I hope they don't trade away Hawpe. He is by far the Rox best hitter and most consistent player on the team. I know we are having one bad year, but if we continue to trade away are best players that will just continue.