Thread: Marquis The Terrible

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rockies Marquis The Terrible

Jason Marquis was battered for 12 runs -- 11 earned -- in 3 1/3 innings by the Angels on Wednesday.
    One would think the Rockies could have found a better use for $5 million over the winter. Marquis has given up 22 earned runs and 26 hits in 14 innings this spring. It could very well be a preview of what's to come from him in Coors Field.
    To be fair, half of those runs came today but holy shit, this guy is awful. I have been reading this offseason that the Rockies could surprise everyone this year and contend in the NL West. Buster Olney I know wrote a blog about it as did others and Marquis was one of the reasons why. They were saying he could be an effective pitcher who will eat a lot of innings. He won't be eating innings if he gives up a shit load of runs. The Rockies were better off keep Luis Vizcaino. If Marquis is giving up this many runs against mixed teams (minor and Major Leaguers), imagine what he will do against the best teams in Coors Field.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Marquis The Terrible

Why is Leo Mazzone so good, again? There's a laundry list of Braves pitching prospects who never lived up to the hype, and Marquis is a classic example. He was once linked to Jason Giambi trade rumors, scouts professed that if they could have any one of the Braves starters they would take Marquis over Maddux, Glavine, and Millwood, and in a past game against LA, Vin Scully said that if you love speed, you'll love Marquis.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think you are mixing it up. Marquis was a better hitter than Maddux, Glavine and Millwood. Leo Mazzone was good. Even he had to deal with pieces of shit.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Not at all. Check the SI 2002 Baseball Preview issue for this portion of an opposing scout's skinny on the Braves.

"If I could take one of their starters, I'd take Jason Marquis. He has tremendous stuff. He'll climb the rotation fast - even this rotation."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Wouldn't be the first time scouts ****ed up on a major scale.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I think you are mixing it up. Marquis was a better hitter than Maddux, Glavine and Millwood. Leo Mazzone was good. Even he had to deal with pieces of shit.
    Even Dave Duncan couldn't "fix" this guy. Marquis reminds me of Brett Tomko

MLB ERA

What about Rick Peterson? I know he couldn't fix Victor Zambrano in 10 minutes but maybe he can with Marquis?
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Nobody can fix Marquis. His problem is that he won't listen to instruction. Those are the pitchers that are beyond help. Dave Duncan tried helping him in St. Louis, but just like Tomko, he wouldn't listen to what he had to say. I'm sorry, but when you have pitching coaches like that trying to help you, and you don't accept their help, then that is unacceptable.

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Yeah, this guy looks promising. Ugh.

I hope to hell Morales can get back to his 2007 form. Man losing Francis for the year hurts.