Thread: Francis Out For The Year

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rockies Francis Out For The Year

The Denver Post reports that Jeff Francis will undergo exploratory surgery on his left shoulder Wednesday and is expected to miss the entire season.
    Francis admitted last month that he was likely headed for surgery, but tried to pitch through the injury early on in camp. His timetable for recovery won't be determined until he goes under the knife, but there's speculation that he has a torn labrum and Francis called his chances of pitching in 2009 "remote." Francis was 17-9 with a 4.22 ERA in 2007, but went 4-10 with a 5.01 ERA in 24 starts last season while struggling through the shoulder problems.
    Huge blow for the Rockies who have already traded away Matt Holliday. Francis was the ace of the staff two years ago when the Rockies won the NL Pennant. Rockies are going to have to overachieve big time if they want to compete in '09. I do not see the stars aligning.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Francis Out For The Year

Tough news for Rox fans. Looks like outdoor rec will be selling some cheap tickets this summer!
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

OUCH...well there goes any chance they had of competing.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Why did he wait so long to have surgery if he was struggling with the injury last year?
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Why did he wait so long to have surgery if he was struggling with the injury last year?
    Good question. I always wonder that when an athlete waits to have surgery months after the season and end up missing Spring Training, training camp, or worse-the season.

Sucks, but hopefully Jason Hirsh will finally be healthy and Franklin Morales can rebound from last year and regain some of the 2007 promise.