Thread: Holliday Trade Talks Are On

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rockies Holliday Trade Talks Are On

According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, the Rockies have begun talking to teams about Matt Holliday and are very likely to trade him this winter.
    We don't know about very likely, but it's clearly a possibility. Holliday is one year away from free agency, and the Rockies don't expect to be able to sign him beyond 2009. The Rockies will target a top young starter in return for Holliday. Heyman reports that small-market teams are involved, even though they'd probably have Holliday for only a year.
    Almost every team needs Matt Holliday so teams will definitely give an arm and a leg and possibly even a testicle to get Holliday. I cannot see a true small market team giving up so much for one year rental. The Braves have been in on the Jake Peavy talks and will definitely have to get in on Holliday. I personally think this is a bad move for the Rockies to trade him. He is now the face of the franchise and the Rockies are not far off from being a mainstay contender in the NL West. Holliday hit .321 with 25 HRs and 88 RBI. He also stole 28 bases last year. Rockies can easily trade Hawpe or Atkins to get good arms. I am sure we will be hearing about this for long time.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Holliday Trade Talks Are On

Juan Pierre's 1 and a 1/2 arms and two legs, and Shawn Green's foreskin for Matt Holliday.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Holliday Trade Talks Are On

Looks like Holliday will be traded to the A's unless something major happens in the deal like a failed physical or something. I personally think the Rockies were best served holding onto Holliday and trading others like Hawpe and Atkins. Rockies could have built around Holliday who is one of the better all around hitters in the league. Holliday would have surpassed Helton as the face of the franchise which helps ticket sales. The terms of the deal have not been finalized but it looks like they will get the pitching the Cards weren't able to give.