Thread: Should holliday be traded?

MLB ERA

Player Should holliday be traded?

There have been a lot of rumors about the possibilities of the Rockies trading Matt Holliday. I would hate to see the Rockies trade him, but they might be better off if they do trade him. Scott Boras is his agent, and will most likely demand a fortune to resign him. There are many options though.

a) Keep him, and attempt to resign him by dealing with Boras when the time comes.

b) Keep him until he becomes a free agent, and then hope for good draft picks in return from the team that signs him.

c) trade him now and get the most in return

d) wait until the off season or even next season at the trade deadline to keep him as long as possible.

Did I forget anything? lol

What do you guys think is the best move?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Should holliday be traded?

I've been watching Rockies' games, and they rarely speak of anything in regards to Holliday leaving. They have been turning it around as of late, and whenever Tulo gets back, they might keep on winning.

I don't think they will do anything this year.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I just can't see how they can sign Helton to a long term deal and not Holliday? Holliday is their best player and is the new face of the franchise. The Rockies can trade guys like Hawpe and Atkins to get good pieces to build around Holliday and Aaron Cook. I think it would be a dumb move to trade your best player.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I just can't see how they can sign Helton to a long term deal and not Holliday? Holliday is their best player and is the new face of the franchise. The Rockies can trade guys like Hawpe and Atkins to get good pieces to build around Holliday and Aaron Cook. I think it would be a dumb move to trade your best player.
    They may not have the option of resigning Holliday. Boras is his agent, and his players usually file for free agency regardless of what the team offers him. This is a fear that I have with Ankiel. I hope the Cardinals can resign him, but I doubt that will happen since he is also a Boras client. I wonder how many Boras clients actually resign with their current team instead of filing for free agency.

MLB ERA

Well, just ask A-Rod.....ok, not the best example, haha.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights View Post
    They may not have the option of resigning Holliday. Boras is his agent, and his players usually file for free agency regardless of what the team offers him. This is a fear that I have with Ankiel. I hope the Cardinals can resign him, but I doubt that will happen since he is also a Boras client. I wonder how many Boras clients actually resign with their current team instead of filing for free agency.
    Every team has an option of re-signing. They gave Helton $140 mil, why couldn't they do that for Holliday? Plus Holliday is signed through two more years. The Rockies are also surging in the NL West.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Every team has an option of re-signing. They gave Helton $140 mil, why couldn't they do that for Holliday? Plus Holliday is signed through two more years. The Rockies are also surging in the NL West.
    Oh c'mon, you know how Boras works, just as well as I do. Is Helton a Boras client? I agree that resigning Holliday would be the best option. I don't know if the Rockies have even made him an offer, but I do know that Boras clients usually opt for free agency no matter what the current team offers.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Helton is not a Boras client, and Boras wouldn't give a rat's ass even if Matt Holliday is the new face of the Catholic Church.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Who gives a **** if Holliday is a Boras client? The Rockies still handed Helton $140 million. No one is answering why the Rockies couldn't do the same for Holliday. The Rockies don't need to give him an offer since he is signed through next year and he's already making $13.5 million next year. Is it so hard to think the Rockies can't afford to give him $18 million per year especially with Helton's contract coming off the books? Plus, like I said the Rockies are still in the hunt.