Thread: Tulo returns to Rockies' lineup

Rockies Tulo returns to Rockies' lineup

It's been 7 1/2 weeks, but the familiar "Tu-lo!" chants that became synonymous with Troy Tulowitzki will once again echo throughout Coors Field.

Tulowitzki, who suffered a torn left quadriceps April 29, was in the starting lineup for the Rockies' series opener against the Mets on Friday night. He took over for Omar Quintanilla at shortstop and batted seventh in the lineup.

"I'm excited to go out there," Tulowitzki said before the game. "I haven't played in a big league game in a while. I'm definitely nervous."

To make room on the 25-man roster, the Rockies optioned infielder Doug Bernier to Triple-A Colorado Springs.

Tulowitzki, 23, was a major part of the Rockies' run to the World Series last fall. He set the big league record for fielding percentage by a Major League shortstop, and he finished the year as the National League rookie leader in several categories, including hits (177), runs (104), RBIs (99) and total bases (292).

More importantly, he emerged as a leader in the clubhouse. He kept guys loose with his constant ribbing and sarcastic humor, but he also knew how to motivate his teammates when games were on the line.

The Rockies indicated that Tulowitzki would be the centerpiece of their franchise by rewarding him with a six-year, $31 million contract in the offseason.

However, Tulowitzki struggled mightily to start this season, in part because he often looked like he was trying to carry the entire team on his young back when it got off to a poor start. Through 26 games, he hit .152 with one home run and 11 RBIs.

The Rockies have turned it around of late, having won 11 of their past 15 games, and Tulowitzki has seen the transformation from afar. Manager Clint Hurdle said he hopes Tulowitzki can relax more knowing he doesn't have to win games by himself.

"I can't anticipate him doing any worse [than he did before the injury]," Hurdle said. "I don't mean that in a bad way. He was trying so hard, and things just got away from him. Now he's got an opportunity to put those bags down and go play."

Tulowitzki, the Rockies' first-round selection (seventh overall) in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft, said before Friday's game that he felt no pain in his leg. He began his rehab assignments on June 11 with Class A Advanced Modesto and played two games with Triple-A Colorado Springs, where he went 3-for-7 with a walk, double and an RBI.

Now he's back, and rather than put too much pressure on himself, Tulowitzki said he's going to focus on what he can do to help the team continue its recent success.

"I know what my role is," Tulowitzki said. "I'm just going to play my game, mesh with the team and let them keep doing what they're doing. Hopefully that makes us a better team."
    The Official Site of The Colorado Rockies: News: Tulo returns to Rockies' lineup

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Tulo returns to Rockies' lineup

This a HUGE lift for the Rockies. If Tulo can stay healthy and be productive, this team will start winning a lot of games.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Closed
    AAA ERA

The Rockies have had a rough start to this season, hopefully with the addition of Tulo back into the lineup on a egular basis the team can start turning it around.

It's already looks like Tulo's return gave the Rockies a boost. Rockies won 7-1.

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Rockies Re: Tulo returns to Rockies' lineup

...and he's back on it due to slamming a bat down and cutting his palm open.

Good job, Tulo.

Anger gets the best of Tulo - The Denver Post

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

At least the Rockies are starting to get on a roll.