View Poll Results: Larry Walker, Hall of Famer?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 20.00%
  • No

12 80.00%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Larry Walker, hall of famer?

MLB ERA

Re: Larry Walker, hall of famer?

See my above post

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Ozzie Smith got in on his defense.
    Larry Walker was a good defensive player, but he was no Ozzie Smith.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzer View Post
    Maybe didn't totally discredit it, but they definitely place a lot less value on it which I don't believe is correct.
    He played the out field, and not even center.

They make maybe one or two non-routine defensive plays a game.

Yeah, it's great that he got so many gold gloves, but that's not nearly enough to make him hall worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    To a certain extent I agree with you. The thing is, I don't think the Walker's defense was enough to make up for his slightly low offensive numbers. Ozzie Smith did not have great offensive numbers, but being the greatest ever at one of the most difficult defensive positions on the field managed to put him over the top. I just don't believe that Walker's defense was THAT good that it makes the difference between HoF and not.
    From what I saw (I may be slightly off as I was a lil' younger while watchin' Walk) his defense was good enough to be an addition for why he should be in the hall. Ozzie Smith is in his own class and I'm not even going to hint that Walk's defense was good enough to be mentioned with the Wiz (but then again, I hold a high regard for the Oz Man). But I will say that Walk's defense changed games. He had a cannon for an arm and was pretty damn accurate IIRC. He played the ball off the Right Field Scoreboard in Coors better than anyone I've ever seen. He'd trick runners on base into thinking he was going to catch the ball when it was actually off the scoreboard. He got great jumps on the ball.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

See my above post
    Sorry, didn;t see it before I posted. Ok, Bill Mazeroski got in on his defense.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    He played the out field, and not even center.

They make maybe one or two non-routine defensive plays a game.

Yeah, it's great that he got so many gold gloves, but that's not nearly enough to make him hall worthy.
    I don't believe I said anywhere that his defense alone is what makes him hall worthy. All I am trying to get across is that it is an addition to his "resume" that other players may not have.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Larry Walker was a good defensive player, but he was no Ozzie Smith.
    Ozzie Smith was no Larry Walker with the bat. Who was the better all around player? I have said I didn't think he would get in but won't be pissed if he does.

MLB ERA

To a certain extent I agree with you. The thing is, I don't think the Walker's defense was enough to make up for his slightly low offensive numbers. Ozzie Smith did not have great offensive numbers, but being the greatest ever at one of the most difficult defensive positions on the field managed to put him over the top. I just don't believe that Walker's defense was THAT good that it makes the difference between HoF and not.
    Haha...slightly low offensive numbers.

Well, I guess we should discount Yogi, Duke Snider, and all the guys who are beneath Larry Walker.

You are blind to the facts...no one in the game during that era dominated so well in Hitting/Hitting for Power/Speed/Throwing/Fielding.

Find me someone who beats him in all of those categories, and I guarantee that they're an easy HOFer.

There's a lot to be said for well rounded players. Stop underrating greatness because of Coors and Injury biases.
    I don't believe I said anywhere that his defense alone is what makes him hall worthy. All I am trying to get across is that it is an addition to his "resume" that other players may not have.
    His resume is as good as every person I listed. People didn't look up shit before they judged though.

MLB ERA

See, I won't be upset if Walker gets in. And I'm not saying he's nowhere close. But in my honest opinion, he falls a little bit short. As I said earlier in the thread, he could get in in a weak year, and in a weak year, I might give him my vote. But taking his competition out of it, I think he barely misses the cut

MLB ERA

Its not bias. The HOF is based on stats, and his stats are not up to par with the other HOFers from his generation. You can't compare other generations, because he played in the live ball era. It's different. He's just not quite there

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

It sucks that gets overlooked in this Dinger-Craving society. People know Ryan Howard opposed to more rounded players who bring "more" to their team. Howard strikes out more than DirtyKash at the bar on Ladies Night. That's ok though, he hits the long ball and plays east of the Mississippi.
    LMAO!!

+rep
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Ozzie Smith was no Larry Walker with the bat. Who was the better all around player? I have said I didn't think he would get in but won't be pissed if he does.
    I don't think he's a HOFer, but I certainly wouldn't be pissed if he was inducted.

He was certainly a great player, I just think he was hampered too much by lack of play time.

Its not bias. The HOF is based on stats, and his stats are not up to par with the other HOFers from his generation. You can't compare other generations, because he played in the live ball era. It's different. He's just not quite there
    That's a valid argument. I, however, think that in an ERA dominated with home runs, shitty pitching, and lackadaisical fielding that Walk did the extras that not many other did. He hit for power and average. He stole bases. He fielded his position great. He was in the backs of every base-runners mind. Is he a shoe-in? **** No tbh. I do, however, think that he will eventually get in because of everything he offered to the table statistically in an era where it wasn't the norm to be so rounded.

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    LMAO!!

+rep

Dark Knight needs to come out already

MLB ERA

That's a valid argument. I, however, think that in an ERA dominated with home runs, shitty pitching, and lackadaisical fielding that Walk did the extras that not many other did. He hit for power and average. He stole bases. He fielded his position great. He was in the backs of every base-runners mind. Is he a shoe-in? **** No tbh. I do, however, think that he will eventually get in because of everything he offered to the table statistically in an era where it wasn't the norm to be so rounded.

There is a point I can actually agree with. I do not think he is a guy who should DEFINITELY be in, or a lock, by any stretch of the imagination. I think he was a very very good player. Eventually, he will probably get in, if he finds the right class to go up against, but I don't believe that he did enough to warrant automatic induction. I don't see him as a first ballot guy, but I think he has a shot to get in down the road

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast