Thread: No Worries About Closer

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No Worries About Closer

Rockies signed RHP Manny Corpas to a four-year, $8.025 million contract with club options for 2012 and 2013.
    Still no complete breakdown of the deal, but it looks like the first option year is worth about $5 million and the second about $9 million, giving Corpas a chance to earn $22 million over six years. If the first option year is declined, he'd be eligible for arbitration. The second option year will cover his first season of free agency.
    Good stuff from the Rockies here. The Rockies are likely to save a ton of money because this kid has nasty, electric stuff. He would have made more than $2 mil in his first years of arbitration. Dan O'Dowd is a very underrated GM.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: No Worries About Closer

Yes, Dan O'Dowd has certainly come a long way from the Mike Hampton and Denny Neagle albatross package.

The Rockies' closer position has been a revolving door for years, and I thought Brian Fuentes was the answer, but Corpas has the chance to be special.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I didn't realize Fuentes was so old until a few weeks ago. Fuentes is already 31 and will be 32 next summer.

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Good deal. Can't wait to see him back in action! Damn, I haven't looked forward to a season this much since the first in 1993.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

The Rockies should have a fantastic 1-2 punch again with Fuentes and Corpas.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.