Thread: 2B candidates already competing and other notes from 1st workout

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Rockies 2B candidates already competing and other notes from 1st workout

2B candidates already competing
    The Denver Post
    Article Last Updated: 02/16/2008 11:31:36 PM MST

The Denver Post - 2B candidates already competing

TUCSON - Early signs point to a dogfight for the starting second-base job.
    While rookie Jayson Nix opens camp as the favorite, Clint Barmes and Jeff Baker arrived early and have been working overtime in the batting cages and in the infield.
    "I feel really good about the progress I've made," said Baker, who reported to Tucson at a well-conditioned 208 pounds. "I think I've increased my agility, and I'm learning the position. We'll see what happens."
    Shortstop Troy Tulowitzki said he's eager to hook up with his new double-play partner, whoever it turns out to be.
    "In the past couple spring trainings, I have worked with Jayson," Tulowitzki said. "He's excellent defensively, a good kid. Hopefully with the bat he can prove something this spring training and win the job."
    Tulowitzki also has been impressed with Barmes' work ethic.
    "If there's a guy that prepares himself well, it's definitely Barmes," Tulowitzki said. "I take my chances with him that he'll be ready."

Fogg's forecast. As of late Saturday, right-hander Josh Fogg was still searching for a team. Fogg told The Denver Post that he had not heard anything new from the Rockies.
    The Rockies have said they offered Fogg a one-year, $5 million deal when the offseason began. Fogg, however, said he was unaware of that offer.

Hill's take. First-base coach Glenallen Hill addressed the media about his inclusion in the Mitchell report for use of performance-enhancing substances during his playing career. Hill, clearly emotional about the subject, deflected most questions by referring to the statement he released through the club on Wednesday.
    "This is a very personal thing for me, so I'll let my statement stand," he said.
    Hill did say it's been a hard time for him. "I feel very cleansed," Hill said. "But it's been very difficult on my family. This is one of the toughest things (in his life). This is probably in the top three."
    var answerId = 0; var somethingChecked = false; var prefix = 'answer_8283295_1203270640794_'; function vote_disabled() { alert('Voting has been disabled on preview...'); } function vote_8283295_1203270640794() { for (var x=0; x < numOfAnswers; x++) { var aTemp = prefix + x; if (document.getElementById(aTemp).checked == true) { answerId = document.getElementById(aTemp).value; somethingChecked = true; } } if (somethingChecked) { document.getElementById("answerRepositoryId_828329 5_1203270640794").value = answerId; document.getElementById("voteButton_8283295_120327 0640794").click(); } else { alert("You must choose an answer to vote on a poll!"); } var mills = 1203270640794; }

Hurdle's view. Manager Clint Hurdle was as giddy as a schoolkid following his team's first spring workout.
    And he certainly doesn't care that many prognosticators are picking his club to finish third or fourth in the National League West, even though the Rockies went to the World Series last season.
    "I haven't picked up on that," Hurdle said. "But one of the good things about this club is that we know we can't control what other people think, or say, or do. We are more concerned about what goes on inside our clubhouse. The court of public opinion was wrong in a lot of ways last year, so we'll see how it plays out this year."

Footnotes. Visa issues kept new right-handed setup man Luis Vizcaino from making it in time for Saturday's workout. General manager Dan O'Dowd said Vizcaino was expected in Tucson on Saturday night and should participate in this morning's workout. ... Hurdle said he expects left-handed reliever Brian Fuentes, who was in Florida on Thursday arguing his arbitration case, to report to camp today.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: 2B candidates already competing and other notes from 1st workout

I had read that the Rockies offered Fogg $5 million and he turned it down. That would be hard to believe because, after all, he is Josh Fogg.

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Re: 2B candidates already competing and other notes from 1st workout

Yeah, sounds kind of silly, doesn't it?