Thread: Lets see, do I have this straight?

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Rockies Lets see, do I have this straight?

The team that finished with the highest fielding % in ML HISTORY doesn't have ONE Gold Glove winner?

1B Derek Lee? Look at the #s:
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball: Stats: Sortable Player Stats

SS Jimmy Rollins?
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball: Stats: Sortable Player Stats

Sort by Fielding % and pay attention to # of games played, total chances, and errors.

So, I see the Gold Glove award is as big of a joke as the NFL Pro Bowl? What exactly are these players and managers basing their votes on? 1B isn't even close as Helton dominated, and SS either Vizquel or Tulo should have gotten it over Rollins.

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Re: Lets see, do I have this straight?

Rockies passed over by Gold Glove
    By The Denver Post
    Article Last Updated: 11/07/2007 12:27:22 PM MST
    The Denver Post - Rockies passed over by Gold Glove

ORLANDO — It's hard to comprehend that a team that seemingly caught everything this past season coming up empty-handed in the Gold Glove voting.
    Such was the sentiment of Rockies manager Clint Hurdle. His team committed the fewest errors in baseball, yet shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, first baseman Todd Helton and left fielder Matt Holliday, all worthy candidates in the boss' mind, were passed over in the voting.
    "You'd think we would have had one guy," Hurdle said today. "It's unfortunate. Obviously, there are a lot of great defensive players in the National League. I just don't think our guys get the same exposure. You look at who won and they are from bigger markets. Maybe that will change now after our season."
    Jimmy Rollins won at shortstop, the Cubs' Derrek Lee grabbed first-base honors and four outfielders were chosen in front of Holliday New York's Carlos Beltran, Atlanta's Andruw Jones and Jeff Francoeur and Philadelphia's Aaron Rowand.
    Typically center fielders man all the Gold Glove spots since voters are not asked to distinguish by position in the outfield. Francoeur plays right field.
    "Matt improved as much anybody. He had a fine season," Hurdle said.
    Beginning next week, the Rockies will learn whether they win the postseason's biggest hardware: NL Rookie of the Year, NL Manager of the Year and NL MVP.
    "Regardless of what happens, we won't be disappointed based on the season we had," Hurdle said.

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Another:

Tulo, Helton miss out on Gold Gloves
    STORY TOOLS
    Email this story | Print

RELATED STORIES
    RELATED LINKS

MORE STORIES

FAN POWER RANKINGS
    Our readers say the Rockies are baseball's top team.
    Create your rankings
    ROCKIES PREGAME REPORT
    Tracy Ringolsby and Jack Etkin will be filing reports before every Rockies game this season.
    Rockies Pregame report

By Tracy Ringolsby, Rocky Mountain News
    November 6, 2007
    Rocky Mountain News - Denver and Colorado's reliable source for breaking news, sports and entertainment: Rockies & MLB

ORLANDO, Fla. — The Rockies like to talk about the "team effort" that resulted in their 2007 National League pennant. Evidently, the rest of baseball agrees.
    Though the Rockies set a major league record with their .989 fielding percentage, not one of their players was selected to the NL Gold Glove team announced Tuesday.

Troy Tulowitzki, who led major league shortstops in fielding percentage and total chances, lost out to Jimmy Rollins of Philadelphia. And Derrek Lee of the Cubs won his third Gold Glove at first base, finishing ahead of Todd Helton.
    "Jimmy Rollins is a great player, but it is wrong that Troy Tulowitzki did not win the Gold Glove and Todd Helton would be overlooked at first base," Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said. "There is a reason we set a major league record for fielding, and those two were a big part of that."
    Managers and coaches in each league vote for the Gold Glove winners.
    It is the second year in a row a team has set the fielding record and been shut out in Gold Glove voting. Boston suffered the same fate in the American League last year. When Seattle set the record in 2003, it had four AL Gold Glove winners.

Tulowitzki committed 11 errors in 834 total chances, a .987 fielding percentage. Rollins had 11 errors, too, but he had only 717 total chances, 117 fewer than Tulowitzki.

Helton led NL first basemen with a .999 fielding percentage, committing two errors in 1,545 total chances. Lee finished fourth in the NL at .994, committing seven errors in 1,259 total chances.

MLB ERA

Now that I think about that is it shocking.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Who cares...Gold Gloves are meaningless popularity contests anyway.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

It is like the all-star selection, the voters just go with what they know. It is like a popularity contest.

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Who cares...Gold Gloves are meaningless popularity contests anyway.
    That is definitely apparent now.

MLB ERA

If Gold Gloves were a popularity contest, then Omar Vizquel would have won a GG at SS instead Rolins.

MLB ERA

I do agree that some of the Rockie players did get screwed over.

But thats almost every year where players deserving dont get it. Its unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I think it is partially becasue the Rockies dont have household names on their roster yet. They are rather new on the scene with the exception of Helton.