Thread: Hawkins Option Declined

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hawkins Option Declined

Rockies declined RHP LaTroy Hawkins' $3.75 million mutual option for 2008.
    The Rockies are being cheap already. Hawkins posted an 8.59 ERA for the Rockies in April before going on the DL with an elbow injury, but after returning in late May, he had a 2.63 ERA in 48 innings. Also, he allowed only one run and two hits in five innings during the postseason. That kind of performance -- especially in Coors Field -- is worth quite a bit more than the additional $3.5 million the Rockies would have had to pay to keep him another year (they're giving him a $250,000 buyout). Of course, there's a good chance he would have declined his half of the option anyway.
    I like this thinking they are saving every dime they can to give Holliday a multi year deal. If they don't, then it is just being cheap. Hawkins did a good job for them and isn't that expensive.

Re: Hawkins Option Declined

Hawkins didn't do that good of a job. He blew an assload of holds earlier in the year like the article stated and when he was allowed in the game it was really a no pressure situation. He's also aging a lot and I think that any success he had this year was really fluky. I like the declining of his contract a lot.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It looks good now since that money is going to Aaron Cook.
    Rockies exercised RHP Aaron Cook's $4.5 million option for 2008.
    Cook will be a free agent after next year. The Rockies are expected to discuss an extension with him this winter. Because of all the time he's missed, perhaps he'll be willing to settle when others in his position wouldn't. Even so, the Rockies would likely have to pay at least $8 million-$9 million per season.

A rotation of Francis Jimenez Morales Cook and Hirsh sounds pretty damn sexy to me right now.

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzer View Post
    A rotation of Francis Jimenez Morales Cook and Hirsh sounds pretty damn sexy to me right now.
    It's wood-worthy.