Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Rockies News

MLB ERA

Rockies Colorado Rockies News

The Rockies denied that they've resumed talks with the Angels regarding Todd Helton.
    "There is absolutely nothing there," O'Dowd said. "I haven't talked to (GM) Bill Stoneman or anyone with the Angels since the winter meetings. I have no idea who came up with that story." Talks between the two sides originally broke down when the Rockies wouldn't cover enough of Helton's contract. The Los Angeles Times reported Friday that the Rockies were now willing to offer up more money to get a deal done.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    The Rockies and third baseman Garrett Atkins are only discussing a one-year deal at the moment.
    Atkins last month rejected a four-year offer with a club option for 2011, his first year of free agency. He's not even arbitration eligible yet, so there's probably not a lot of back and forth going on at this point.

According to the Denver Post, progress was made over the holidays on a multiyear deal for infielder Jamey Carroll.
    Carroll is still two years away from free agency, but the Rockies have it in their heads that they need to lock him up after his career year. They should take a lesson from what happened with the Brewers and Brady Clark a season ago. Carroll is expected to lead a Colorado bench that will also include Jeff Baker, Clint Barmes, the backup catcher and probably Cory Sullivan. The team is about to add another left-handed hitter, possibly Darin Erstad or John Mabry, which would seem to increase the chances of Barmes getting dealt. There's already no room for Luis Gonzalez.

Rockies agreed to terms with infielder Jamey Carroll on a two-year, $4 million contract with a club option for 2009.
    Carroll, who turns 33 next month, gets $1.7 million this year, $2.15 million in 2008 and either $2.5 million or a $150,000 buyout in 2009. Carroll was a career .269/.344/.338 hitter before batting .300/.377/.404 last season in his first year with the Rockies. He's a very good defender at second and he can handle short on occasion, but it won't be long before he resumes hitting like the 25th man that he is. If the Rockies don't regret this deal by the end of the year, we'd be quite surprised.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Rockies signed RHP Dave Veres to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    It'd be a great story if the 40-year-old Veres could make it back to the majors after his replacement surgery. The former Rockies' closer last pitched in the majors in 2003 and has been out of baseball entirely the last two years. There's little chance of him winning a job out of spring training.

The Rockies are far into discussions with Javy Lopez and Sal Fasano in their attempt to land a third catcher.
    A less likely possibility is Sandy Alomar Jr. "Nothing is finalized, but we continue to make progress," said Lopez's agent, Chuck Berry.

With no room for the right-handed hitter on their bench, the Rockies are discussing Luis Gonzalez with the Yomiuri Giants of Japan.
    Gonzalez belongs in the majors, not in Japan, and would be worthy of the Kevin Millar treatment if the Rockies decide to put him on waivers. The 27-year-old is a .283/.321/.427 hitter in 875 at-bats as a major leaguer and is capable of handling three infield positions and both outfield corners. If there's room for David Newhan on a major league 40-man roster, there's room for Gonzalez.

The Rockies are close to signing free agent Javy Lopez to a partially guaranteed one-year deal.
    Lopez will get a 40-man roster spot, but he won't get his full salary if he's cut in spring training. The addition of Lopez will force Sal Fasano and Sandy Alomar Jr. to seek employment elsewhere.

The Rockies have reportedly sold Luis Gonzalez's contract to the Yomiuri Giants of Japan.
    We'd still like to see some major league team claim him off waivers when the Rockies try to pass him through, but it probably won't happen. Instead, Rockies ownership will get some more money that won't be spent improving the quality of the product on the field.

Free agent Mike DeJean, recovering from season-ending shoulder surgery in June, began throwing off a mound last week.
    The Rockies and Yankees are among the teams interested in DeJean. He might be able to get a guaranteed contract rather than have to settle for a minor league deal.

Rockies signed catcher Javy Lopez to a one-year, $750,000 contract.
    The contract isn't guaranteed, so the Rockies would owe him just a fraction of the salary if they cut him in spring training. If Lopez makes the team, his salary will be boosted to $1 million and he'll have a chance to make $600,000 in incentives. Lopez was brutal during his time with the Red Sox, but his .265/.314/.412 line in 279 at-bats with the Orioles last season suggests he still has a little something left. While he's currently third on the Rockies' depth chart at catcher, there is the chance that a good spring could earn him the start on Opening Day.

Trade talks regarding Rodrigo Lopez have become more serious this week, with Colorado remaining the leading suitor.
    The Orioles and Rockies have exchanged proposals, and with no longer any glaring holes on the roster, Baltimore appears willing to accept just a prospect or two in return for the 31-year-old right-hander. Also with some interest are the Padres, Rangers, Mets and Mariners.

Rockies acquired RHP Rodrigo Lopez from the Rockies for RHP Jim Miller and RHP Jason Burch.
    The Rockies didn't give up anything they're likely to miss, so this is a pretty good move for them. Lopez figures to be an adequate fourth or fifth starter in the NL. His addition will leave two rotation spots open for Jason Hirsh, Byung-Hyun Kim and Josh Fogg behind Aaron Cook and Jeff Francis. It's doubtful he'll have any fantasy value at all.

MLB ERA
    The Rockies are close to signing John Mabry, who would compete for a spot on the club's bench.
    With Jamey Carroll, Clint Barmes, Jeff Baker and the backup catcher already guaranteed spots, there would seem be just only one opening on the Colorado bench. Mabry will battle Cory Sullivan and Alexis Gomez for the spot. Ryan Spilborghs and Choo Freeman can seemingly be counted out.

Rockies signed first baseman-outfielder John Mabry to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Mabry faded to .205/.283/.324 in 210 at-bats with the Cubs last season, and at 36, versatility on defense is no longer a strong suit for him. He can still be adequate as a left-handed pinch-hitter, but the Rockies have better uses for the roster spot.

Before acquiring the right-hander for two minor leaguers, the Rockies discussed a Rodrigo Lopez deal with the Orioles that would have included Josh Fogg.
    We can't imagine that the Orioles would have wanted to take that downgrade just to save $2 million. Fogg likely will be available in trade talks now that Lopez is in the fold. The Rockies can't expect more back than what they gave up for Lopez.

Rockies agreed to terms with LHP Jeremy Affeldt on a one-year, $1.25 million contract.
    Affeldt, who made $1 million last season, is entering his final year of arbitration. There no longer appears to be any chance of the Rockies using him as a starting pitcher at the beginning of the year. He'll remain a middle reliever and maybe move into a setup role if he performs well.

Rockies agreed to terms with outfielder Matt Holliday on a one-year, $4.4 million contract.
    A nice sum for a player eligible for arbitration for the first time. Unlike Jeff Francis and Garrett Atkins, Holliday didn't engage in talks with the Rockies regarding a long-term deal. The Rockies likely will try to lock him up next winter if he turns in another strong season.

Rockies agreed to terms with outfielder Cory Sullivan on a one-year, $900,000 contract.
    It's hard to see how Sullivan still fits on the Rockies unless Willy Taveras is traded. The Rockies have already brought in two candidates to take his roster spot in Alexis Gomez and John Mabry, so a spring trade is a possibility.

Rockies agreed to terms with RHP Rodrigo Lopez on a one-year, $4.325 million contract.
    Lopez received a modest raise from the $3.75 million he earned in Baltimore last year. The Rockies are likely to make him their third starter this season after acquiring him form the Orioles last week.

Rookie ERA
    Rockies owner Charlie Monfort said the organization remains open to trading Todd Helton and the $90 million remaining on his contract.
    Discussions with the Angels reportedly died last month, and no other team has stepped up with an offer. It's doubtful that Helton will be moved before Opening Day, and in-season deal isn't that much more likely. The Rockies would have to pay a signficant portion of what Helton is owed over the next five years in order to move him. Also, Helton could use his no-trade clause if he's not sent to the right team.
    http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5064682

ROCKIES ALL DA WAY
    Rookie ERA

Re: Colorado Rockies News

Hirsh was injured while trying to get back to third base on a pickoff attempt by Mets catcher Paul Lo Duca. Hirsh left the game after pitching the best game of the season. He held the Mets scoreless in six innings, throwing only 61 pitches. Because of the All-Star break, there is a possibility Hirsh may only miss one start.
    Source: The Official Site of The Colorado Rockies: News: Colorado Rockies News

ROCKIES ALL DA WAY
    Rookie ERA

Tulowitzki for
    Rookie
    Of the
    Year

Turn 2

Maybe that is just what he needs some extra rest to get over this injury so he can get back to his regular self. I wonder who will take his spot on team.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Matt Holiday joins the lineup for the HR Derby, replacing injured Miguel Cabrera. He's a righty, and I think that righty's have the advantage at ATT Park, but I'm not too sure...

Turn 2

It will be interesting to see how Matt does in the derby against the big boys like Howard and Prince.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Well, Vladi won it all, but Holiday made it to the semi-finals. Nice job, I think.

Turn 2

Matt Holliday has a monster swing. He definetly showed me something in the derby.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

IMO, Holliday seems to be more of a guy who hits for average, not for power. So when he first entered I was thinking "what the heck?" but like you said he did much better than I predicted.

MLB ERA

Fogg files for free agency....

Right-handed pitcher Josh Fogg, who resurrected his career over the past two seasons with the Rockies, could parlay his recent success into a multiyear guarantee.

Fogg officially filed for free agency Friday, the ninth Rockies player to take that step.

The Rockies have interest in retaining Fogg, but not for much more than the $3.625 million he made this year, which isn't likely.

In light of recent deals, including St. Louis giving Joel Piņeiro a two-year, $13 million deal last month, Fogg could get an offer in the neighborhood of three years and $21 million.

Right-handed pitchers Matt Herges and Ramon Ortiz are expected to file for free agency but so far are the only eligible players among the Rockies who have not submitted their names.
    Rocky Mountain News - Denver and Colorado's reliable source for breaking news, sports and entertainment: Rockies & MLB
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Bench Warmer
    AA ERA

That's too bad, I liked Fogg. But, I still like our projected line-up next year (and Fogg might've lost his spot anyway).
    Francis, Cook, Jimenez, Morales and Hirsch sounds great to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast