Thread: Midwest League

MLB ERA

Angels Midwest League

We went to the Cedar Rapids home opener tonight, another chilly, breezy game. The Kernels (Angels) won the game with a nice comeback. After 2 1/2 innings, it looked like the Kernels were going to kick the game away, having committed 4 errors that allowed 5 runs to score in the top of the 3rd. Not the sort of defense one is used to from an Angels' farm team. They pitched well for the rest of the game, allowing no more runs. The offense came back nicely with homers by Wendell Soto (SS) and Frazier Hall (1B). It looks like they'll have decent team speed this season with a kid named Chevy Clarke playing center (I wonder if his parents saw the National Lampoon Vacation films?).
    Kaleb Cowart looked decent at 3B.
    We got a nice surprise when we entered the ballpark. It was Mike Trout Bobblehead night. They gave away 1000 of them and 5 of the 1000 were golden. Those with the golden ones got a Mike Trout autographed baseball -- I got one of those. His autograph needs some work and the gold bobblehead looks nothing like him, but they are worth more than the price of admission for certain.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Rookie ERA
    They opened up against Clinton, no? Anyone there worth watching?
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

MLB ERA

Re: Midwest League

Clinton has some interesting outfielders -- Guillermo Pimentel and Jabari Blash. Both are tall and athletic looking (Pimentel is 6'1", 190 and Blash is 6'5", 225) and they should both move up as fast as their bats can carry them. Steve Baron (C) is a former 1st round draft pick and looked smooth behind the plate.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Rookie ERA

Thanks Catman!

I live in Clinton, and I don't follow the Rangers(that's their affiliate, right?) farm at all.

I plan on catching a bunch of games this year, especially the games when Peoria comes to town.

MLB ERA

The Lumberkings are a Seattle affiliate. We get there occasionally. I like that little park. Always back into your parking space though. Balls fly out of the park regularly and its easier to drive home with a crack in your rear window than your windshield.

Rookie ERA
    Ahh right, they switched to Seattle a few years back. And yes, I know. I know many people who have gotten busted windows. Your best bet is to park in the lot across the street, or find a spot up on the riverfront.